• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Compiled possible character sheet errors?

Tehnai

First Post
Like all of you, I'm currently breaking apart the character sheets trying to figure out what goes where, and I'm not the only one who saw discrepancies here and there.

This is hardly a critique of the playtesting material, just a little analysis of what feels off about the character sheets, mathematically speaking.

General

• The weapons in the character sheets do not deal the same damage dice as the weapons in the "How to play" document

The Cleric of Moradin

• His AC should be 17, not 18. I would be very surprised if the cleric of Moradin got a floating +1 to AC. Chainmail with heavy shield should make an AC of 17

The Cleric of Pelor

• The Quarterstaff is a finess weapon, it should go +3 (1d8+1 bludgeoning)

The Fighter

• There's something off about his Axe damage roll. We can all agree that it should be +3 for strenght, and +2 for Weapon Focus, for +5. The other +2 probably comes from using a weapon two-handed, which wouldn't make much sense either (double the strenght mod, for another +3, or add half, 3.X style, for 1.5, rounded down).

Also, it seems his strenght was added to the damage of the crossbow rather than his dexterity.

For the attack roll, I'm not willing to call shenanigans, even if there is a floating +1 I can't put my finger on (+2 for proficiency, +3 for strenght, +1 for ?). I'm assuming the fighter gets a bonus to attack at level one.

The Halfling Rogue

• Other than the weapon damage dice being off, everything seems fine.

The Elven Wizard

• The Quarterstaff is a finess weapon, it should go +3 (1d8+1 bludgeoning), exactly like the cleric of Pelor.

There is also a floating +1 to magical attack. I have no idea whether or not it's an accident.

Let me know if I missed anything

DogBackward

First Post
Yeah, I don't think you get more damage for two-handing a weapon, I think that there's just an extra +2 to damage on both of the Fighter's weapons coming from somewhere. I'm thinking maybe somebody accidentally applied the Weapon Focus bonus twice?

Tehnai

First Post
Actually his Dex is 15, so quarterstaff should be +4, 1d8+2.

It could just be that floating unknown +2 fighter damage.

I dunno, it feels wrong. Granted, there is no basis for that assumption, but why bother showing us the +2 to damage from the Fighter ability and then just stick an invisible +2 on top. Would also explain the Greataxe damage, though.

whydirt

First Post
Rogue's Ambush ability seems redundant as hidden attackers have advantage on their attack anyway.

Nope. Ambush gives you advantage just by starting your turn hidden, even if you come into view before attacking. It's a small, but important difference.

Tehnai

First Post
Rogue's Ambush ability seems redundant as hidden attackers have advantage on their attack anyway.

Not necessarily. You get Advantage if you are hidden from your opponent. So if you're hidden, and then walk to your opponent and stab him in the face, in the middle of combat, while he's facing you, well, you lost advantage (because well, he saw you).

Whereas with the Ambusher ability, you can and will bumrush your enemies from cover.

Last edited:

Mercutio01

First Post
Where is the +2 for proficiency coming from? I've been looking for that tidbit in both the DM and How-to documents and not seeing it? Is that just an assumption, or is it in a particular section that I just keep missing?

Remove ads