• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complete Champion excerpts

hong

WotC's bitch
Felon said:
No I dont. I say it like it ain't the way I want to play D&D. If you wish to infer something negative, that's your deal.

Take charge of your inferences, Felon! Say what you mean, rather than letting people infer whatever they want!

Well, gee, what can I say here?

For starters, you can admit to making a statement empty of any substantive content. Hint: "button mashing" as the term is commonly understood in gaming circles is not descriptive of any sort of tabletop gaming, whether it sets up encounters as independent of each other or not. Well, unless you literally smash your dice into the table when a character gets killed, but I digress.

If I admit to not having done any button-mashing, then I confirm Hong's "talking-about-stuff-I-haven't-done-before" line of reasoning. And we all know you can't discuss the downside of drowning babies until you've actually done the deed a couple of times yourself, so I have no recourse there.

Yet if I admit to having done button-mashing,

No you haven't. You have implied that you have played video games, but not that you have done any sort of button mashing. Or maybe you have, and got pwned by someone who actually knew how to play those games.

then I'm a hypocrite for not wanting to play D&D that way, so I'm screwed there too. Couched as a simple snide remark, Hong has constructed an impenetrable retort!

I'm good that way. :cool:

Oh wait, I'll just say that what I enjoy when I'm playing my Xbow is different from what I enjoy when I play D&D.

Pshaw. What I enjoy when I'm playing MY Xbow is what I enjoy ALL THE TIME! In fact, I'm playing my Xbow right now, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.

False alarm, folks, Hong's got zip.

No, I'm _on_ zip. See sig.

Felon

First Post
hong said:
For starters, you can admit to making a statement empty of any substantive content. Hint: "button mashing" as the term is commonly understood in gaming circles is not descriptive of any sort of tabletop gaming, whether it sets up encounters as independent of each other or not. Well, unless you literally smash your dice into the table when a character gets killed, but I digress.
Are you doing that thing folks like to do on boards where they get all literal and pretend like they don't grasp the concept of metaphors? I find that pointing out that you're doing that is a pretty simple way of defusing it.

No you haven't. You have implied that you have played video games, but not that you have done any sort of button mashing. Or maybe you have, and got pwned by someone who actually knew how to play those games.
Wow, this takes me back a ways. I recall making some comment about the "brainfless fun" of playing video games, to which you took no end of umbrage of using the adjective "brainless". That was probably six or seven years ago. The man takes his gamer creds seriously.

Pshaw. What I enjoy when I'm playing MY Xbow is what I enjoy ALL THE TIME! In fact, I'm playing my Xbow right now, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.

Hey, I'm playing Saint's Row myself between posts (but I suspect that you're using a metaphor).

hong

WotC's bitch
Felon said:
Are you doing that thing folks like to do on boards where they get all literal and pretend like they don't grasp the concept of metaphors? I find that pointing out that you're doing that is a pretty simple way of defusing it.

I find that pointing out the stupidity of a metaphor is a good way to stop people from using it... actually, no, that never works.

Wow, this takes me back a ways. I recall making some comment about the "brainfless fun" of playing video games, to which you took no end of umbrage of using the adjective "brainless". That was probably six or seven years ago. The man takes his gamer creds seriously.

Making a virtue out of ignorance does not change the nature of that ignorance.

Hey, I'm playing Saint's Row myself between posts (but I suspect that you're using a metaphor).

Hm, played much Soul Calibur 2?

Wavestone

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Very cool. Are all the PHB churches fleshed out, or just a few? I have a cleric of Garl Glittergold in my campaign and I've scooped out all of Moradin's fluff and applied it to a comparable god from Ptolus, so that'd be useful, too.

This sounds like it might be a pretty good DM's book, even if the PrCs sound pretty uninteresting to me.

quick reply:

The following PHB churches are somewhat fleshed out, including affiliation benefits and such:
(in order they appear.. alphabetic after the church name, not god name)
Moradin, Ehlonna, Yondalla, Obad-Hai, Boccob, Fharlanghn, Olidammara, Heironeous, Kord, Wee Jas, St Cuthbert, Pelor, Corellon and finally Garl Glittergold.

Basically all the good/neutral PHB gods. The evil churches get a short blurb each, no affiliation stuff or such.

edit: Also, in the domains as organizations, all of the PHB domains are fleshed out..

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
hong said:
I find that pointing out the stupidity of a metaphor is a good way to stop people from using it... actually, no, that never works.

Making a virtue out of ignorance does not change the nature of that ignorance.
See, you're kinda extra-tetchy on the topic. Well, didn't mean to mash your buttons.

Hm, played much Soul Calibur 2?
Beens sticking to 360 games so far, and it lacks good fighting games (lest you can count the oglability of the hawt chicks in Rumble Roses).

hong

WotC's bitch
Felon said:
See, you're kinda extra-tetchy on the topic. Well, didn't mean to mash your buttons.

I have a reputation to maintain, you know. As soon as people think you're getting soft, they start acting up, demanding more, and before you know it, it's work, work, work all the time.

Beens sticking to 360 games so far, and it lacks good fighting games (lest you can count the oglability of the hawt chicks in Rumble Roses).

SC2 for the Xbox should work fine for the 360. Been playing that a lot with people. Bo9S strikes me especially as an attempt to recreate Soul Calibur for D&D.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Wavestone said:
quick reply:

The following PHB churches are somewhat fleshed out, including affiliation benefits and such:
(in order they appear.. alphabetic after the church name, not god name)
Moradin, Ehlonna, Yondalla, Obad-Hai, Boccob, Fharlanghn, Olidammara, Heironeous, Kord, Wee Jas, St Cuthbert, Pelor, Corellon and finally Garl Glittergold.

Basically all the good/neutral PHB gods. The evil churches get a short blurb each, no affiliation stuff or such.

edit: Also, in the domains as organizations, all of the PHB domains are fleshed out..
Wow, I can totally use this book. Thanks.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I haven't paid much attention to organizations yet, but I think it would be anice way to unify the party. Instead of "You all meet in a tavern" you could have "You are all members of organization X" with a nicely fleshed out organization X to tell you what perks you get and how to get and lose those perks.

Wavestone

Explorer
Felon said:
Maybe I missed its mentioning already, but what is the regulatory mechanic behind using a domain feat power?

I think the domain feats are strong, and well done.. One of the interesting things are that these feats scale with levels. They will always be useful.. remains to see if they are too strong. For non-cleric/paladins, its once per day use of a ability for the cost of one feat. If you got TU, you can get more uses.

(sp)They are spell-like abilities, so can be dispelled, demands conc checks and such..

Also, there should not be a free choice of domain feats.. you're supposed to be able to choose from the feats corresponding to what domains your deity provides. If you worship Pelor, you can choose between the Good, Healing, Strength, Sun domain feats.

In addition, you cannot have more than one unless they fit thematically, as in the deity example above.

I know.. its sounds a lot like mechanics balanced by RP restrictions. Ultimately its up to the DM.

The domain feats arent everyday feats, but models divine gifts/blessings rather nicely.

edit: added in the (sp) note

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads