• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complete Psionic - heal my ignorance

Snoweel

First Post
Hi.

I've never been much of a fan of psionics but I've heard good things about Complete Psionic. I'm just wondering, is it stand alone, or does it require the Expanded Psionics Handbook?

How do the 2 books differ?

Thanks.

Drowbane

First Post
Sadly, I don't yet own a copy of Complete Psionic (I plan to fix that this weekend!) but from what I've gathered on the boards...

Its a "splatbook" that enhances the XPH. Much like the Complete Warrior gives options for all things warriorish (is that a word?)... the Complete Psionic gives options (Feats, PrCs, etc) for Psions, Psychic Warriors, Wilders, Soulknives, and present a few additional Psionic Base classes.

Hope that accurately answers your questions. :heh:

TheAranan

First Post
Drowbane's correct. Complete Psionic introduces three new base classes, a few feats, PrCs, and powers, but is merely a suppliment to the Expanded Psionics Handbook which details all the "basic" psionic classes, races, feats, skills, powers and PrCs as well as including that useful information about how psionics works in the first place. :)

Psion

Adventurer
Snoweel said:
I've never been much of a fan of psionics but I've heard good things about Complete Psionic.

Well it wasn't from me. :)

What sorts of things have you been hearing? It's got a few interesting things, and gives astral construct a much deserved nerfing. but I think they botched quite a bit.

I was dubious about the Ardent, but as it lets me put a stake in the conceptual heart of the godless cleric, I like it for that alone.

I'm just wondering, is it stand alone, or does it require the Expanded Psionics Handbook?

CPsi is a splat for the XPH. You need XPH to get any meaningful use out of CPsi.

Henry

Autoexreginated
The good news is that you technically don't need the XPH; 99% of its material is available in the WotC System Reference Documents. However, having the book is to me much better for reference at the table.

As for CPsi itself, I don't think it's all bad; I don't like some parts (I DON'T LIKE DAMP POWER ONE BIT), but other parts are well needed (Soulbow, the fixes to Energy Missile et. al., some of the feats, etc.) and some parts are OK, but I don't see the need mechanically (for example, I never had a problem with Astral Constructs in our games).

Mercule

Adventurer
Who have you been talking to? Complete Psion is better than Complete Divine, but that's not hard. If you like psi, then the CP is probably worth it. But only because it's the only support psi is getting. If you don't like psi, then this book won't make it any more palatable. It doesn't suck, but it's definitely at the lower end of acceptable quality.

The Ardent is pretty cool (as Psion said, it makes the godless cleric a non-issue), and there are a few feats and powers that are interesting. Entirely too much of the book, though, is taken up by racial (illithid, dromite, etc.) feats, racial levels, and such things. There are also large amounts of material that has no "wow" factor, despite being servicible (the entire PrC chapter, for instance).

As others have said, it serves to expand the XPH the same way the rest of the "Complete" line expands on the PHB. Of course, you can still use the XPH info from the SRD.

Psion

Adventurer
Henry said:
(I DON'T LIKE DAMP POWER ONE BIT)

I think it's a cool power, but it's too low level for what it does. It's clearly superior to intellect fortress, unless you bank a lot of IF's blocking ability damage or 1 round base duration. Even then, it should at least be the same level as Intellect Fortress.

Remove ads