• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(completely OT) I finally got a console, PS2, and I have no idea what to get for it.

SonOfLilith

First Post
FREQUENCY!!!!

Not very popular, but...my god! it is digital crack in the purest form! Days, weeks, months, and years will dissapear befor your very eyes!It is the only game that has kept my interest for a year and a half! I SOO can't wait till F2 comes out in march.

Others: ICO. Very short, but very very fun. Like others have said, it has to unique feel to it that won't let you put the controler down. One of the only games I wish I could play for the first time again. Silent Hill 2 was the same way, though the ending was a bust.

P.S. Tekken owns DOA's s#*!

kibbitz

First Post
SonOfLilith said:
FREQUENCY!!!!

Not very popular, but...my god! it is digital crack in the purest form! Days, weeks, months, and years will dissapear befor your very eyes!It is the only game that has kept my interest for a year and a half! I SOO can't wait till F2 comes out in march.

Others: ICO. Very short, but very very fun. Like others have said, it has to unique feel to it that won't let you put the controler down. One of the only games I wish I could play for the first time again. Silent Hill 2 was the same way, though the ending was a bust.

P.S. Tekken owns DOA's s#*!

Don't start on the Tekken vs DOA bit :D

Still, I have this friend of mine who was very, very disappointed with Silent Hill 2... apparently, the horror factor is lower than that for 1? :confused:

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Tsyr said:
Some of my favorites for my PS2:

Dead or Alive 2 (DoA2): Some people say it's justs a T&A game, but it's alot deaper than that. It's my favorite fighting game, personaly. 3 is out for the Xbox, but 2 was still a great game.

Aye, it's a T&A game, but not as much of a T&A game as Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball :)

Ruined

Explorer
I'm gonna add to HellHound's praise:

It' all about SSX!

Well in my case, SSX Tricky. I thought, bah it's just a silly snowboarding game. It will probably be like most others I play, captivate me for one night and then be done with it.

No way. I spent weeks with that game, unlocking everything possible. If you fear for your spare time, be wary of this addictive title. :D

Larry Fitz

First Post
Dynasty Warriors 3, it's all about the musou.... Sima Yi is a God of War... as you finish each individual character's "storyline" the ending sequence changes, there are three main ending sequences and one secret ending for the "non-aligned" generals... I'm ranting.... it's obsessive. My girlfriend and I spend WAY TOO MUCH time on this game.... archers must die... need caffeine, must finish all of the Wei generals.....

Larry Fitz
Instigator

"It's... the Sima Yi show! With tonight's special guest star... Pang Tong!" -The announcer for The Sima Yi Show

anowack

First Post
Assuming you like CRPGs, FInal Fantasy X is a must have. Wonderful game.

Dead or Alive 2 is good fun. Can't compare it to Tekken as I haven't played it, but DoA2's a good 20 bucks cheaper, which always helps.

And those are the two games I own, as I just recently bought a PS2. :D

Other games worth looking at (as in I'm considering getting them myself) are GTA3 and Robotech: Battlecry.

I'm also very excited about the forthcoming release of Suikoden III, as I'm a major fanboy of that series (the reason I originally bought my PSX was to play the first two games ;) )

PS1-wise, games to look for: FFVII definitely. Starocean: The Second Story is pretty cool, but I haven't really been able to get into it myself. Same with Xenogears.

fba827

Adventurer
HellHound said:

For me and my family, it is ALL ABOUT SSX.
Tsyr said:

GOD did I read that wrong at first...

/me hits his head with the Talislanta tome to try to get the strange image out of his head

LOL -- it's okay Tsyr, I read it the same way as you did during my first glance ;)

Edit: Fixing up the formatting of the quotes

Last edited:

Stephenls

First Post
-=PS2 games=-

ICO: You're a boy with horns. You have a stick. There's a princess, and you both have to escape from a castle. The princess can talk, but you can't understand her language and she can't understand yours. Shadow-things keep trying to stop you from escaping. The story is stripped down to the bare minimum, and it works perfectly. Grab ICO as soon as possible. (And it's pronounced E-KO, if you're wondering.)

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2: (See description of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, below.)

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty: The story is really, really stupid. And completely incoherent. But the gameplay is fun.

Zone of the Enders: I'm afraid I can't really recommend this one. The biggest thing it has going for it is the preview disc for MGS2:SoL that it comes packaged with.

-=PSOne Games=-

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver: This game is just excellent. The sequel is arguably worse, but you're not playing either one of them for the gameplay, really. It's all about the voice acting. Unlike most games, which usually have TEH WORST VOICE ACTING EVAR, the Soul Reaver series has voices that actually work. Kain, especially. And the Elder God. And if you buy Soul Reaver, you'll most likely want Soul Reaver 2, simply because it continues the story.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: If you ever played Super Metroid on the Super NES, you know how much fun a truly good platformer can be. Symphony of the Night is the true heir to Super Metroid, in terms of Perfect Platform Game. This is a hard one to find, but worth it.

Silent Hill: I don't think the sequel really lives up to the original. Silent Hill is a truly scary game. Highly recommended.

Squire James

First Post
Final Fantasy X is currently my only game that only works on PS2... until recently there's been a distinct lack of RPG's that weren't "walk around and hack" (which I generally dislike). I'd probably get Kingdom Hearts if I weren't 17 months into unemployment (can't turn down a game where Goofy and Donald Duck join your party and fight, can you?).

My PS1 list is a longer... the usual suspects like the Final Fantasy games, Star Ocean 2, Legend of Mana. One I haven't seen mentioned here yet is Final Fantasy Tactics, The Best PS1 Game Ever in my opinion. Some of the things you do in the game to "munchkinize" your characters is pretty hilarious (my favorite is turning the last enemy into a frog and each PC start using some pathetic attack on each other for JP and XP).

Too bad the Big Boys upstairs think it's a good idea to make its sequel solely for the Gameboy Advance!

Remove ads