• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Compound Bows and Damage Penalties

ConspiracyAngel

First Post
I think I know what everyone's answer is going to be, but just for the heck of it I though that I should at least put it out there for discussion.

Page 134 (Middle-Right column under Damage) - "A strength penalty, but not a bonus, applies on attacks made with "a bow that is not a composite bow."

From the above statement, then, one could assume that if you are using a composite bow then you will NOT have to apply your strength penalty to your damage roll. Now take a look at this...

Page 119 (Upper-Left) - "All composite bows are made with a particular strength rating..."

So one could then assume that using the two statements above that if one has a -3 str modifier, if he used a composite bow made to his str (4) that he would NOT have to apply his -3 str mod to his damage roll. But, if you read into it you will find that it also says here that the default for a composite bow is +0.

So here are my ?'s:

Why would page 134 bother with an exception to the rule unless it were truly applicable?
I mean, if a composite bow is not known to be made with a str less than +0, then why state that a strength penalty would not apply while using this said-composite bow. As +0 is equal to a 10, which does not encur a penalty modifier.

OR

CAN you have a composite bow made to match your own strength (eventhough +0 is the norm)? IF SO, then could you have one made for you at 4 STR and then not have to apply any penalty modifiers because it is a specially made bow, ergo composite?

- conspiracyangel

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
A Strength penalty, but not a bonus, applies to a non-composite bow.

Both penalties and bonuses apply to composite bows... up to a maximum limit for a given bow.

If you have a Str of 16, and you use a composite bow designed for a Str of 12, you can apply your Str bonus to damage... but only to a maximum of +1.

If the composite bow is designed for a Str of 16, you can apply your full bonus, +3.

If it's designed for a Str of 20, you can apply your full bonus, +3... but you take a -2 on your attack rolls, since the bow is designed for someone stronger than you.

If you have a Str of 4, and use a normal (Str 10) composite bow, you take a -2 penalty on attack rolls, and also suffer a -3 to damage rolls.

In theory, you could have a bow designed for a Str of 4. Anyone using it would suffer a -3 on damage rolls, but at least you wouldn't suffer a -2 on attack rolls.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
ConspiracyAngel said:
Wait. But what about

Page 134 - no damage penalties encurred when using composite bow.

That's not what it says.

It says a penalty, but not a bonus, applies when you're not using a composite bow.

It doesn't say a penalty doesn't apply when using a composite bow.

-Hyp.

ConspiracyAngel

First Post
Yeah, I typed it verbatum in post 1, post 3 was sum up text... but to the point,

BUT the text DOES specifically EXCLUDE a damage penalty when using a COMPOSITE bow

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
ConspiracyAngel said:
Yeah, I typed it verbatum in post 1, post 3 was sum up text... but to the point,

BUT the text DOES specifically EXCLUDE a damage penalty when using a COMPOSITE bow

Where?

I only see a rule relating to "a bow that is not a composite bow".

I don't see a rule relating to a bow that is a composite bow on that page.

-Hyp.

ConspiracyAngel

First Post
I know. And I agree. ... but why? Why the exception if there is not a situation in which it would be applicable?

I lack the words to properly describe my feelings on this misappropriation of words.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
ConspiracyAngel said:
***message repeat, please delete***
No it doesn't. The first block of text you quoted only says what happens when your not using a composite bow. It doesn't say anything about what bonuses or penalties applie when you are using a composite bow.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
ConspiracyAngel said:
I know. And I agree. ... but why? Why the exception if there is not a situation in which it would be applicable?

Okay. If the bow isn't a composite bow, penalties apply, but bonuses don't.

If the bow is a composite bow, penalties apply, and so do bonuses (to a limit).

So to say "A strength penalty, but not a strength bonus, applies when using a bow" would be incorrect, because a strength bonus can apply to a composite bow.

So to make the statement true, we need to add that qualification. "A strength penalty, but not a strength bonus, applies when using a bow... unless it's a composite bow, because then strength bonuses might apply."

Shortened to "a bow that is not a composite bow".

-Hyp.

Remove ads