Comprehend-Spirits

D.Shaffer

First Post
From the complete power book, it's additional selection for the Comprehend power. It's a natural fit for my character, as well as many other 'mystic' type characters.

Comprehend - Spirits (Paraphrasing from the entry)
You can communicate with incorporeal and normally invisible and inaudible spirit beings, such as ghosts or certain entities, depending on what beings exist in the context of the setting. One rank allows you to speak to these spirits and comprehend their replies. This effect may extend to demons, undead creatures, or other supernatural entities at the GM's discretion.

Salix

First Post
As long as this fits in the LS world I would vote yes. Have we decided on whether or not characters land/ or phenomena like this are OK?
D.Shaffer said:
From the complete power book, it's additional selection for the Comprehend power. It's a natural fit for my character, as well as many other 'mystic' type characters.

Comprehend - Spirits (Paraphrasing from the entry)
You can communicate with incorporeal and normally invisible and inaudible spirit beings, such as ghosts or certain entities, depending on what beings exist in the context of the setting. One rank allows you to speak to these spirits and comprehend their replies. This effect may extend to demons, undead creatures, or other supernatural entities at the GM's discretion.

Velmont

First Post
I don'T think we have tell that this kind of events exists in LS, or that they don't exists. but I think they are not very significant. D.Shaffer, what use do you think a character with that power will do with it? Can you also define more the nature of those spirits? I'm curious, and also wonder if there isn't another way to do what you want to do with that power.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Honestly, I see it more of a 'flavor' type power, which is why it's only 1 rank for use. Its actual usefulness would mostly depend on the GM but it could have some utility, which is why I suspect they even bothered.. If no one ever uses ghosts, spirits from beyond, 'Things man wasnt supposed to know' and the like, or the GM for the campaign says 'Hey, that ghost over there? Anyone can talk to him', it'll be a wasted PP, but as my character is a shaman type, I think it fits.

Any definition of a 'spirit' would probably be up to the GM/Judge adjudicating the power, so I'm not going to make a blanket statement on what would/would not be effected by it. But it could include ghosts, nature spirits, minor gods, extradimensional entities, fey, and/or minor divination.

Last edited:

Salix

First Post
Now that I think about it we have a character, GHOST, who is back from the dead. There was also Spirit. I Vote YES

Rystil Arden

First Post
So for 1 point, you do not get to claim that every rock and inanimate object (or tree/plant/animal) has a spirit you can talk to, right? There has to actually be a spirit that has already shown up as part of the GM's plot. In that case, 1 point sounds about right. If not and the power insists that those spirits exist, it is potentially more useful and powerful than the more expensive Postcognition.

Velmont

First Post
If I was about to do a mission that lead to an holy site for Navajo, someone with that power might be able to speak to almost anything... but what spirit there is in the mission and what they know will highly depend on the GM. And understanding and speaking is one thing, getting information out of them is another. After all, it isn't a mind reading things. I think as the master will have a good deal of power over the usability of that power in his game, it is fair enough. YES

D.Shaffer

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
So for 1 point, you do not get to claim that every rock and inanimate object (or tree/plant/animal) has a spirit you can talk to, right? There has to actually be a spirit that has already shown up as part of the GM's plot. In that case, 1 point sounds about right. If not and the power insists that those spirits exist, it is potentially more useful and powerful than the more expensive Postcognition.
No, that'd be Comprehend Object with special effects, not comprehend spirit. In any case, technically it's actually 2 PP as you need one rank and the base cost of Comprehend is 2 PP/rank.

The GM gets to determine what the player could actually communicate with, as well as what the character actually GETS out of it.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
One possible use I see is if he enter a murder site. He could activate that power and hope to find the spirit of the murdered person and ask him questions. But he could also have cross the boundary of the worlds and left this one for a better place and in that acse, it just give nothing. And it is a wild guess that, as the rmeaining spirit could not trust the character.

Finally, it is something like Whoppey Goldberg in Ghost.

Hand of Vecna

First Post
I vote YES.

It's a nifty power, good for advancing some plots but easily controllable by the GM. It's also easily something I call a "Character/Roleplay Enhancer" -- not of much direct use in combat, but very, very useful outside of it, and helps give a window to the character's personality (does she actually talk to the spirits, or talk with them? speak formally and reverently or informally?)

Remove ads