• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CON no longer useful for boosting HP

Lady Chaomii

First Post
While playing 5e, If you're planning on spending a few attribute points on Constitution just to give your HP a boost, I have one thing to say about it; DON'T!

Lets all open our copy of "How to Play D&D Next", which WotC wants to keep confidential even though Sorcerers of the Land *spit* could -easily- get there hands on it if they haven't already done so, and open it to page 4.

If you go down and read the entry on Hitpoints you'll notice they changed the way Constitution scores effect the amount of HP you gain as you level up. Now, by using math (OH GOD!!! MATH!!!) I have worked out that the HP bonus you get based on your con is, on average, [< (Your CON Modifier - 1) / 2]

Pay careful attention to the <, that means that not only is the HP progression reduced by half, but diminishing returns is also in effect.

Note that this calculation goes all screwy when the CON bonus exceeds the native average HP gain, but since a Wizard (d4 HD) shouldn't have a CON higher than 14 anyway (At least in 3.5) and won't effect -anyone- with a HD of d8 or higher it doesn't really matter too much. Clerics -might- benefit, but -nobody- spends 16 points (Con 18) on Constitution, NOBODY.

Even if it -was- linear, that means that you need a CON of 16 to get the same benefit you would have gained from a CON of 12 in 3.5. To put it into perspective, for point buy, a score of 16 is 10 points, while a score of 12 is only 4 points. That's double and a half.

Don't treat the Constitution Attribute as the HP attribute anymore, at MOST you'll get 1.5 HP per level out of it, and that's not taking into account the diminishing returns. Unless you have an ability that relies on Constitution, such as a Barbarian or a Dragon Adept, don't invest too much into your CON. Instead focus on your other ability scores, to make your character stronger and not -NEED- that 1HP per level.

---

All in all, while the new HP gain system is -interesting-, it's poorly implemented and not really a suitable addition to D&D. You can't gain HP retroactively if you boost your CON through leveling, and static HP progression becomes difficult, due to the inexact method of calculating HP gain. I'd even dare to say the new HP system was broken.

BobTheNob

First Post
Yep. It dont contribute much. Mind you, if does contribute to your hit dice rolls (i.e. you capacity for self healing)

So whilst it isnt contributing to Maximum as much as it used to, it is contributing to you max HP per day.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
What? Are you people insane?

Con is awesome in the playtest. Math be damned. In play, the Con bonus to HD seriously matters, big time. Not only that but by forming the very first amount of hit points at 1st-level, it's vital for surviving through the first five levels at least.

CM

Adventurer
Don't forget that death saves and negative HP limit are based on Con. I would say it's still pretty important, but not moreso than your class's primary attribute.

keterys

First Post
Comparing a 14 Con to a 10 Con for a character... they get 4 hp at 1st level plus .5 hp per level equivalent (mileage varies by how badly you roll)... and plus 2 to their hit dice rolls for self healing (which aren't much of a thing, since healing potions are dreadfully cheap at 3rd+ level)... and plus 2 to saves against death, poison, petrification, disease, physical stunning, etc.

Seems plenty reasonable, especially if your other option is a 14 in a caster stat for a non-caster or 14 Str for a non-melee. I imagine it'll be the #2 or #3 stat for most characters.

variant

Adventurer
Comparing a 14 Con to a 10 Con for a character... they get 4 hp at 1st level plus .5 hp per level equivalent (mileage varies by how badly you roll)... and plus 2 to their hit dice rolls for self healing (which aren't much of a thing, since healing potions are dreadfully cheap at 3rd+ level)... and plus 2 to saves against death, poison, petrification, disease, physical stunning, etc.

Seems plenty reasonable, especially if your other option is a 14 in a caster stat for a non-caster or 14 Str for a non-melee. I imagine it'll be the #2 or #3 stat for most characters.

You also forgot an additional 4 negative hit points.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Wow. I'm sorry, but the biggest flaw with the 3E reliance on Con bonus was the 1-for-1 HP gains you got from it. It made Con significantly more important than HD. The current system maintains some importance for HD, though various alternate systems might be even better than this.

Remove ads