• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Con

Rolzup

First Post
My new character is going to be a con-man style Rogue. Really high social skills (Bluff at +12 at first level), but lacking in the typical Roguely skills of climbing, lock picking, an trap disarming.

(He can, however, both Sneak and Hide reasonably well -- how else to escape when a con goes badly?)

I've found myself wondering, though: is there a prestige class that fits this kind of Rogue? It's not a priority for me, as I'm currently planning on going straight Rogue with a few levels of fighter, but I'm interested in finding out what my options may be.

The Guild Thief from Forgotten Realms" is the best I've found, and it's not really all that close.

Any thoughts?

Rolzup

Jeph

Explorer
LazarusLong42 said:
Spymaster from Song and Silence comes to mind.

Indeed, but it's kind of concept specific. Its for . . . well, spy masters. ;) To elaborate, they get a bunch of alternate personalities, and bonuses to social skills. It's not very combat-based, though.

Rolzup

First Post
Barendd Nobeard said:
Which would be great for a con-man.

This is true; the lack of combat skills wouldn't be a problem for this guy. He'll be avoiding fights as much as possible, and depending on sneak attacks for when he's got no choice but to fight.

My only problem with the Spy Master is that this isn't a character who would really want to work for anyone but himself...and the canon Spy Master generally appears to report to *someone*. Maybe I can tweak it a bit, with DM approval.

Rolzup

Rolzup

First Post
Bricktop said:
Gee, nice original idea. Why don't you try being a Spellfire Wielder as a prestige class?

My god, that's brilliant!

When a deal goes bad he can just incinerate the angry mark! That's absolutely perfect!

The key to being a successful criminal, after all?

Leave No Witnesses.

I thank you for your wisdom, and cannot even begin to tell you how very helpful it has been. In your honor, I shall name my character's mace Bricktop, for -- like you -- it is mighty, crushing, and not very sharp.

Rolzup

Rolzup

First Post
While I'm thinking of it, are there any good prestige classes in the non-WoTC books available? Frankly, I'm looking more for interesting ideas than anything else at this point.

Thanks, all

Rolzup

Last edited:

AEtherfyre

First Post
Is there really any problem with the Spymaster, other than the flavor text? All things considered, flavor is much easier to change than mechanics, and if flavor's the only problem - you could always just change it.

Rolzup

First Post
AEtherfyre said:
Is there really any problem with the Spymaster, other than the flavor text? All things considered, flavor is much easier to change than mechanics, and if flavor's the only problem - you could always just change it.

Hard to say; it depends on how the campaign develops. It's going to be a relatively "urban" game, so there'll be plenty of chances for an Information Broker/Spy Master to ply his trade...but there's going to be some standard adventuring as well.

Frankly, by the time I actually qualify for the class, I'll surely have a good idea as to how well it would work in this campaign. Having re-read the class, it's a lot closer to what I had in mind than I had remembered.

Rolzup

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads