• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conan by Dark Horse

Anyone else read this? I picked up Issue #1 yesterday on a bit of a whim, actually, but I quite like it. It's definately got that old REH feel to it; in fact, Issue #2 is supposedly called "the Frost-Giant's Daughter!" :D

I might get a subscription...

VorpalBunny

Explorer
It's the best Conan comic to come down the 'pike in a long, long time. The writing is top-notch and the art is simply amazing. I'm re-reading the Roy Thomas/Barry Smith stuff and it pales in comparison to the two issues of Conan Dark Horse has released so far.

It's amazing what a change in ownership can do for a property...

Siridar

First Post
Hmm. All I can do is agree with the above.

It's definitely got that "feel" to it.

I'm not as big into comic collecting as I once was, but this is one of those comics that I'll definitely be picking up on a regular basis.

Last edited:

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
My comic shop still had issue #1 on the new releases rack... issue #2 is out already?

Not until the end of March. Dark Horse released Conan #0 back in November (I think) to introduce the line. If you can find a copy I recommend it.

mmadsen

First Post
VorpalBunny said:
Not until the end of March. Dark Horse released Conan #0 back in November (I think) to introduce the line. If you can find a copy I recommend it.
I very strongly second that recommendation. I hadn't bought an actual comic (vs. a TPB) in years (a decade?), but I went out of my way for Conan (#0 and #1).

I was very pleased with the 2 issues of Conan so far. The #0 issue was a great into to the series, and the #1 issue was a great kick off for the stories. I'm looking forward to the next issue more than just about any other comic on my pull-list. I grew up reading the Marvel Conan books (especially Savage Sword), but these 2 issues have me very excited, and I plan on reading this series as long as they keep the quality at this level.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Yep, I picked it up. I've been reading the Windsor-Smith reprints in TPB, as well. I think they still stand up very well, but the Dark Horse book is something else again. Very good. I'll be getting this for some time to come.

See, I haven't seen the old Marvel Conan in 15+ years, but I never remember being particularly impressed with it either. This new one really has the REH "feel" to it, though. At least so far.

terryallenuk

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
See, I haven't seen the old Marvel Conan in 15+ years, but I never remember being particularly impressed with it either. This new one really has the REH "feel" to it, though. At least so far.

Yes Kurt says that he wants to keep faithful to REH's version hence no adaptations of pastiches just his own interpretation of Howard.

Terry

Remove ads