• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conan/Conan II

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Not sure if this will help anyone else, but I noticed that the Best Buy in my area was selling the two Conan movies on DVD together in a packaged deal for $17.99

Dark Jezter

First Post
Don't bother with the second Conan movie. Just take your $18 and get the Conan the Barbarian Special Edition DVD. One of the best DVDs around, IMO. :)

Hey

Dark Jezter said:
Don't bother with the second Conan movie. Just take your $18 and get the Conan the Barbarian Special Edition DVD. One of the best DVDs around, IMO. :)

While I totally agree that Conan the Destroyer doesn't hold a candle to the Barbarian, it has it's high points. I remember the first time I read the Thief's ability to backstab in the 2nd Edition PH ... instantly into my mind sprang the image of Malak vaulting onto the horse of some poor goon or another, and promptly shoving to rather large daggers into his kidneys ... brilliant!

Thanks
-Matt

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Dark Jezter said:

This is the Collector's Edition of Conan I, plus Conan II. What's on the Special Edition DVD that isn't on the Collector's Edition? Is it more than one DVD?

durath

First Post
I can't speak for the Special Edition but if I could go back in time I never would have bought the Collecter's edition.

It doens't even have Dolby Digital 5.1 capability. It only has 2.0 mono. THat alone makes it worthless.

I imagine that the special edition at least has good sound.

Artimoff

First Post
I've seen that 2 pack around my area as well. It is the directors cut of Conan 1 with the standard Conan 2. The directors cut makes a great movie even greater.

reapersaurus

Explorer
OK.
We must be careful with our words when talking about DVD releases.

Take all this with an "AFAIK" (if anyone has more information, please let me know):

There is no special edition for Conan.
Just the fantastic Colector's Edition.
see here for review: http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_2/conanthebarbarian.htm

The review says the sound on the movie is mono, so I don't see why durath is slamming it for not having Dolby. :rolleyes:

Also - there is no director's cut - it's listed on the back with "Extended Version with Bonus Footage", but I'm not sure what's been added.
There are deleted scenes, but the real prize off this wonderful DVD is the Documentary and the Commentary.

Myself, I think Conan the Destroyer has gotten a serious bad rap over the years, and people conveniently remember it worse than as it really was - watch it again... there's some really cool ideas and fights in there - this isn't Shakespeare, guys.

If you can get both DVD's at that price, grab it QUICK!
I purchased Conan 1 only a year ago, and $19 was as good as I could find.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Dark Jezter said:

Don't bother with the second Conan movie.
Unless you're a fan of then-15-year-old Olivia d'Abo. :D

Still, must be awkward of AHNOLD to kiss a minor. Of course, not so awkward in ancient times.

jdavis

First Post
I've seen both Conan movies within the last 30 days, trust me I'm just not remembering Destroyer as "worse than it really was". It stunk up the screen pretty bad. The first one was a masterpiece, the second one was a second rate hack job that they tried to add some zany antics to. Conan doesn't need zany antics to lighten the mood it's supposed to be dark and brooding. It's not unwatchable bad but it is no where near good (Ok I give you that Olivia d'Abo did look good in it). Yes the second gets a bad wrap because it isn't near as good as the first, but trust me it deserves it, it was a really bad movie.

Just to compare the two:
Conan 1
Director:John Milius http://us.imdb.com/Name?Milius, John
Writers: John Milius, Oliver Stone http://us.imdb.com/Name?Stone, Oliver

Conan 2
Director:Richard Fleischer http://us.imdb.com/Name?Fleischer, Richard
Writer:Gerry Conway http://us.imdb.com/Name?Conway, Gerry (I)

Richard Fleischer was a good director who was at the end of a very long career (his movie after Destroyer was Red Sonya, go figure), and Gerry Conway was a destined to write TV scripts for Baywatch Nights one day. They tried to do a funner more lighthearted Conan and it wasn't that good, they had supporting actors like Grace Jones and Wilt Chamberlain (in his only movie role ever); Milius had supporting actors like James Earl Jones and Max von Sydow. Destroyer had a poor story, bad acting, and out of place comic relief, oh and they gave Arnold 5 times as many lines in the movie (that was the bigest mistake). The big tell on the movies is that they didn't talk about making a 3rd one till now and it hinged on Milius coming back to write and direct it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads