• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conan RPG is it d20 or not?

Turhan

First Post
I was just over to the Mongoos Conan site and it shows lots of Conan and nary a D20 logo.

I thought it was D20. Am I wrong?

thanks all.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
It is d20 but it uses very genre-specific cultures, classes, monster and an alternative magic system compared to D&D.

It's OGL

The Conan game from Mongoose is built using the OGL, it uses the basic d20 mechanic and plays like a d20 game, but it does not require the core rules to use as it has its own XP and advenacement, so it cannot bear the d20 logo or be a d20 game.

That said, if you are familiar with the d20 system, you will be familair with the Conan rules for the most part.

-M

trancejeremy

Adventurer
It's d20, but they didn't use the d20 license, only the OGL license (because the nudity in the books, apparently, though this also had the effect of it being a stand alone game, which was for the better), so they can't mention it's d20.

Corinth

First Post
Conan is d20. The only reason for the lack of an official label is that they wanted to include levelling up and full PC generation rules, which the d20STL forbids. It looks like d20, it acts like d20, therefore it is d20 in fact and that's what matters to Joe Gamer.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
As a side note, there are a number of games that are OGL which are, essentially, d20. Mongoose, for example, produces Babylon 5 and Starship Troopers, as well as Conan.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Turhan said:
I was just over to the Mongoos Conan site and it shows lots of Conan and nary a D20 logo.

I thought it was D20. Am I wrong?

thanks all.
It's d20/SRD-based. It doesn't have the trademarked d20 System logo on it, but it has an Open Gaming License attached to it. All legal, AFAIK.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Corinth said:
Conan is d20. The only reason for the lack of an official label is that they wanted to include levelling up and full PC generation rules, which the d20STL forbids.

Naw, it was the nudity. WOTC changed the d20 license rules to forbid it (to prevent the Book of Erotic Fantasy being d20), which forced Mongoose to make it OGL . Supposedly that is why there were so many typos and mistakes (like refernces to Half-orcs) in parts of the book, because they were quickly copy and pasted into the manuscript from the SRD.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Supposedly that is why there were so many typos and mistakes (like references to Half-orcs) in parts of the book, because they were quickly copy and pasted into the manuscript from the SRD.
Most of which have been fixed in the second printing.

While a D20 based game Conan uses a very different armor system, character Ability scores rise much more rapidly, multiclassing is simplified. And for nudity... some on every other page.

The Auld Grump

JVisgaitis

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
It's d20, but they didn't use the d20 license, only the OGL license (because the nudity in the books, apparently, though this also had the effect of it being a stand alone game, which was for the better), so they can't mention it's d20.

While its true that with nudity you can't use the logo, I doubt they would of with that clause in there anyway. A lot of publishers are fearful that Wizards will be pull the d20 license with the next iteration of D&D. When I was talking to them about doing a product via Flaming Cobra, they suggested we drop the d20 logo.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads