• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Concealment question

3d6

Explorer
Hypothetical situation.

Lets say we have two persons, which are 300 feet apart from one another in a completly open plane. This plane is completly and utterly dark, except that both persons have daylight cast on thier helms.

They try to fire ranged weapons at each other, do they have concealment?

The PHB concealment entry seems to say that they would, which seems very strange to me.

To determine whether your target has concealment from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that provides concealment, the target has concealment.

Felnar

First Post
the light range of the daylight spells is how far a person (within the effect) can see "away" from the center of the effect

no concealment in your situation
(i cant quote written rules tho)

its like driving at night
your headlights let you see things a couple hundred feet ahead,
but you can see oncoming cars headlights for miles

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
3d6 said:
The PHB concealment entry seems to say that they would, which seems very strange to me.

It depends how you interpret 'a square or border that provides concealment'. Does it mean 'a square that would provide concealment to someone who was standing in it', or 'a square that contains something that provides concealment to someone on the other side'?

Natural darkness provides concealment to you if you're standing in it, but it doesn't actually block line of sight to someone who is not in darkness somewhere beyond it. A curtain of vines, on the other hand, not only conceals someone standing amongst it, but would also conceal someone on the far side, even if they were standing in the open.

So the question I would ask is not "Does this line pass through a square or border that would provide concealment under different circumstances" (like if the character were actually standing in the darkness), but "Does this line pass through a square or border that provides concealment to my target right now?"

The darkness provides concealment to characters who are in it; my target is not in it, so the dark square is not 'a square that provides concealment' for my purposes.

If there was a curtain of vines between us, though, that would be 'a border that provides concealment' to my target, so my target has concealment from me.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
... of course, the next question is 'What about a Darkness spell?'

If there is a patch of magically-generated shadowy illumination between you and your target with your glowing helms, can you see him clearly, or do the shadows interfere with how well you can see him?

-Hyp.

moritheil

First Post
If it were complete magical darkness, this would be easy to answer, but as it is . . . I guess I would want to look at the effect providing the shadowy illumination.

Hypersmurf said:
... of course, the next question is 'What about a Darkness spell?'

If there is a patch of magically-generated shadowy illumination between you and your target with your glowing helms, can you see him clearly, or do the shadows interfere with how well you can see him?

-Hyp.

Remove ads