Concentration Checks

IceBear

Explorer
Yeah, like I said it's very ambiguous and both arguments make sense (to me at least) so I just go for the one that requires less work for me (not having to total the total damage) and that fits both situations.

Anyway, I think I've been too wrapped up on here lately so I think I'll take a break again.

Later,
IceBear

Surreal

First Post
I believe if you fail to cast defensively you loose the spell but don't provoke AoO's.

I'd have to agree that you roll for each hit seperately, but that would only be from AoO's because you didn't cast defensive (your first mistake) or held actions against you.

Surreal

Artoomis

First Post
Surreal:

You are quite right - casting defensively only protects you from AoOs. You still are subject to readied actions interrupting you.

And I'd roll for all AoOs together, as they essentially happen at the same time. In fact, there is no mechanic for seperating when they happen - that is, which AoO goes first. I assume that's because it doesn't matter - they all happen together, for all practical purposes.

I never really thought this all they way through before, but as I do my position seems to make more and more sense. If you take all the damage at once (as I think happens, for all pratical purposes), then you roll once for all the damage.

Hmmm.... The argument seems to come down to whether all the damage happens at once or not.

IceBear

Explorer
Artoomis said:
I never really thought this all they way through before, but as I do my position seems to make more and more sense. If you take all the damage at once (as I think happens, for all pratical purposes), then you roll once for all the damage.

Hmmm.... The argument seems to come down to whether all the damage happens at once or not.

Yes, and I don't see three fighters taking three readied actions to hit the same mage as occuring at EXACTLY the same time. The three blows do occur very close in time to each other but they don't occur at exactly the same time (I mean the three fighters might get into each other's way).

But, the amount of time that the above situation would occur would be low and thus I couldn't care less one way or the other. Normally, it's one Concentration check per damaging attack. If you feel that the three sword blows consitutes one damaging attack then use the one roll.

IceBear

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
IceBear said:

But, the amount of time that the above situation would occur would be low and thus I couldn't care less one way or the other. Normally, it's one Concentration check per damaging attack. If you feel that the three sword blows consitutes one damaging attack then use the one roll.

IceBear

Agreed - that's my point - you need to decide, essentially, if the mage has time to shake off one blow before the next one comes, or if they all come so close together that he does not have time to shake off each one before the next one hits.

You can rule either way with the rules as written.

One way you make multiple concentration checks.

The other you add up all the damage done from readied actions or AoOs and add them together for one check. About the same amount of effort from the group, I think.

(As an aside - I'd handle readied actions and AoOs seperately - readied actions, if successful prevent the AoOs from even happening.)

It also partly come down to whether you think it should be easy or hard for mages to cast spells when in combat.

Easy = multiple rolls against each damage roll.
Hard = one roll against damage total.

Choose your philosophy and run with it!

Belares

First Post
I believe (until I see the answer stated clearly in a errata) that ALL damage you take in that round your are casting (unless full round spell) is considered for taking damage to make the Concentration check. Which means total damge and make check. Again, that is what I interpret from the rules. This makes getting hit numerous times that MUCH harder to make check.

Note:If the character is taking continuous damage, half the damage is considered to take place while the character is casting a spell. the character must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + one-half the damage that the continuous source last dealt + the level of the spell the character is casting). If the last damage dealt was the last damage that the effect could deal, then the damage is over, and it does not distract the character. Repeated damage, does not count as continuous damage.

This of course I believe is for full round spell concentration checks

Remove ads