• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Concentration from magic items

felwred

First Post
A number of magic items create effects that, if cast normally by a caster, would require concentration (and thereby take up a concentration slot). Some are more clear than others. I'd like to get feedback regarding each of these categories:
1. Item that simulates a magical effect - general thought is no concentration needed - example: Boots of flying (fly), +1 longsword (magic weapon), etc.
2. Item that specifies a specific DC for a spell effect such as a staff of fire (DC 15) - this is a bit fuzzy. The caster's stats aren't used so it seems disconnected to the user. Would that wall of fire require concentration so the caster couldn't also cast fly themselves?
3. Item that uses your DC and caster stats for a spell effect such as an instrument of the bards casting fly - that seems pretty clear to require concentration because it uses your stats and says "you cast." A ring of spell storing appears to be similar in that it says "you cast" but uses the stats of the original caster. I'd think these you'd have to maintain concentration.

Thoughts?

Fred

Check the thread "Some Tweets" in this forum. It is full of tweet replies from Jeremy Crawford, the head game designer. I think I saw an answer to your question either there or in a recent Sage Advice column from him.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
If an item lets you cast a spell (staffs, spell scrolls, rings of spell storing or three wishes, for examples), then you are subject to the concentration rules if that spell requires concentration. Unless the item specifically says otherwise (i.e. has the words "no concentration required" in the description).

If an item gives the effect of a spell, or an effect similar to a spell, but does not actually have you cast the spell (like many of the potions), then you are not subject to the concentration rules.

I house rule this to some extent based upon the item. For instance, one of my players has a wand of web. RAW say he needs concentration. But, we play that he does not. Yes this means he can cast it a bunch of times since he doesn't have to concentrate on each one. But, it also means he can't dismiss them when he wants. They last the duration regardless. Which makes the wand much more powerful, especially if their are only 1 or 2 encounters per day.

We play that way (contradicting RAW) because to us that's how a wand of webs should work.

felwred

First Post
If an item lets you cast a spell (staffs, spell scrolls, rings of spell storing or three wishes, for examples), then you are subject to the concentration rules if that spell requires concentration. Unless the item specifically says otherwise (i.e. has the words "no concentration required" in the description).

If an item gives the effect of a spell, or an effect similar to a spell, but does not actually have you cast the spell (like many of the potions), then you are not subject to the concentration rules.

The odd-ball cases I mentioned create problems with if the PC isn't casting it directly (like the ring of spell storing casting spells a different caster put in them or a ring of spell turning re-directing the spell). I'd say those two would be similar enough to casting that the PC should have to concentrate.

Fred

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
The odd-ball cases I mentioned create problems with if the PC isn't casting it directly (like the ring of spell storing casting spells a different caster put in them or a ring of spell turning re-directing the spell). I'd say those two would be similar enough to casting that the PC should have to concentrate.

Fred
The ring of spell storing says: "While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it. The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell attack bonus, and spellcasting ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell."

There is no "odd-ball" case here - just another example of that the item specifically says the user is casting a spell, and is thus subject to the casting rules such as concentration.

Not even the ring of spell turning is an odd-ball case - it does not say the ring wearer is casting the spell, nor does it say the ring is creating the spell effect, it is just being clear that the caster of the spell is the target of their own spell and none of the details besides that are altered.

All of the items are clear - they either say words like "you" and "cast" which means all the normal casting rules like concentration apply unless the description also makes a point of specifying that they don't, or they don't use those words because they don't require concentration and/or aren't casting a spell even though their effect might be like a spell effect.

jgsugden

Legend
There is a general rule relevant here: The rules tell you the rules.

What I mean is that the rules will tell you if something should happen. If there is no rule telling you something should happen, then it should not happen.

Thus, if an item let's a PC fly but doesn't do it by casting a spell or explicitly requiring concentration, then no concentration is required.

Remove ads