• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Concentration Query

pedro2112

First Post
I've tried to keep up with the threads in here, but I haven't noticed any discussion about a certain aspect of the concentration duration. Does the spell caster become aware when a spell, that has a concentration duration, is cast by a wizard or cleric on another party member or enemy, and said spell ends involuntarily? For example, the party wizard casts Invisibility upon the party rogue, who subsequently enters the guildhall to stealthily find and steal the secret ledger. Unfortunately, when the PC reaches the second story he is spotted by an alert guard dog and is forced to attack to defend himself, thus ending the spell. Does the Wizard know his spell has ended? If he does, he can then cast another concentration duration spell.. but more importantly, it also will alert him that the party Rogue is in trouble.

Any thoughts?

Agamon

Adventurer
I like to think that if a caster has to concentrate to keep a spell going, he'll know when it goes down. It doesn't make much sense otherwise.

samursus

Explorer
Yeah, I'd say that makes sense to me. And mechanically, I don't think it would come up often enough, in a beneficial way, to be an unaccounted for class boost.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I've tried to keep up with the threads in here, but I haven't noticed any discussion about a certain aspect of the concentration duration. Does the spell caster become aware when a spell, that has a concentration duration, is cast by a wizard or cleric on another party member or enemy, and said spell ends involuntarily? For example, the party wizard casts Invisibility upon the party rogue, who subsequently enters the guildhall to stealthily find and steal the secret ledger. Unfortunately, when the PC reaches the second story he is spotted by an alert guard dog and is forced to attack to defend himself, thus ending the spell. Does the Wizard know his spell has ended? If he does, he can then cast another concentration duration spell.. but more importantly, it also will alert him that the party Rogue is in trouble.

Any thoughts?

It also raises another question - how far can the rogue go before the wizard can't maintain the spell? There's no discussion about the range of concentration.

What happens if the rogue goes through a portal to a location hundreds of miles away, or to a different plane?

Is line of sight required?

What about the rogue entering a lead-lined room?

I get and like the concept of concentration spells, but now that it's applied to a much larger range of spells it's not as obvious.

Ilbranteloth

KarinsDad

Adventurer
It also raises another question - how far can the rogue go before the wizard can't maintain the spell? There's no discussion about the range of concentration.

What happens if the rogue goes through a portal to a location hundreds of miles away, or to a different plane?

Is line of sight required?

What about the rogue entering a lead-lined room?

I get and like the concept of concentration spells, but now that it's applied to a much larger range of spells it's not as obvious.

Ilbranteloth

To infinity and beyond....

Nope. No limits unless the spell says so.

Remove ads