• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Concentration

nhl_1997

First Post
Quick (hopefully) question....

While casting a spell, if the spellcaster takes damage from multiple readied actions, are multiple concentration checks necessary or is only one concentration check (DC depending on the sum of all damage dealt) necessary?

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Well, sorry to cancle your hopes of a simple question, but I disagree. IMC, we use a check for each hit, against the DC for that hit. That way it's passable.

-Tatsu

I'm pretty sure it's multiple checks, once for each attack, since each attack is a separate distraction.

Otherwise, you'd run into problems with full-round casting time spells.

(I.e., hit once for 6 damage, hit once for 4 damage, hit once for 3 damage during the round you are casting would result in how many Concentration checks and at what DCs?)

LazarusLong42

First Post
srd said:
If more than one type of distraction is present, make a check for each one; any failed Concentration check indicates that the task is not completed.
(Emphasis mine)

Damage dealt while the action is being taken is only one type of distraction, by the RAW. Does it make sense from the POV of verisimilitude? Perhaps not. However, for Patryn's example, I think I'd rather make one DC 23+SL Concentration check than three at DC 14+SL, 16+SL, 13+SL, though only from a standpoint of dice-rolling. Obviously the latter favors the caster.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
LazarusLong42 said:
Damage dealt while the action is being taken is only one type of distraction, by the RAW. Does it make sense from the POV of verisimilitude? Perhaps not. However, for Patryn's example, I think I'd rather make one DC 23+SL Concentration check than three at DC 14+SL, 16+SL, 13+SL, though only from a standpoint of dice-rolling. Obviously the latter favors the caster.

So the caster is casting a full round spell. He provokes an AoO, and gets hit for 6 points of damage. That's the end of his action.

"My turn? Okay, did that attack disrupt his spell?"
"I don't know. I'm not going to roll until the end of the round."
"... okay, I'll hit him again, then. 4 damage. Is he still casting?"
"I don't know. I'm not going to roll Concentration until the end of the round."
"So... we don't know if Pete can chase after the monk, or if he has to charge over here to try and disrupt the spell as well?"
"Right."

-Hyp.

Scharlata

First Post
LazarusLong42 said:
[...] Damage dealt while the action is being taken is only one type of distraction, by the RAW. [...]

Hi!

You should have to make several Concentration checks, because nothing happens simultaneously in the initiative order (even if the actions are only split seconds apart).

(And to nitpick the "type of distraction", some weapons deal Slashing, some Bludgeoning and some Piercing damage; that constitutes different "types of distraction". :D)

Kind regards

nhl_1997

First Post
Scharlata said:
Hi!

You should have to make several Concentration checks, because nothing happens simultaneously in the initiative order (even if the actions are only split seconds apart).

Kind regards

In this situation though, the actions are readied. The triggering condition for each readied action is the same.... "when that person starts casting a spell, I ...." Do the attack occur simultaneously?

I guess they do not. Since taking a readied action affects initiative count, in what order would they proceed the round after taking their readied actions? The rules do not really allow different creatures to act simultaneously so the readied actions also do not occur simultaneously.

Thank you

LazarusLong42 said:
(Emphasis mine)

I knew you'd bring that up.

Specifically, that only covers such things as casting a spell (or handling an animal) while on the deck of a storm-tossed ship (DC 15 for "violent motion") while a gale is blowing hail in your face (DC 10 for weather is "wind-driven hail").

You'd need to roll twice, once for each form of distraction.

If you were then hit by an arrow for 4 points of damage, you'd need to roll again.

However, for Patryn's example,

This was rebutted rather effectively by the next couple posters.

Scharlata

First Post
nhl_1997 said:
In this situation though, the actions are readied. The triggering condition for each readied action is the same.... "when that person starts casting a spell, I ...." Do the attack occur simultaneously?

I guess they do not. Since taking a readied action affects initiative count, in what order would they proceed the round after taking their readied actions? The rules do not really allow different creatures to act simultaneously so the readied actions also do not occur simultaneously.

Thank you

Hi!

What I said! Nothing happens simultaneously. So all readied actions take effect one after the other in order of the highest initiative bonus.

Kind regards

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads