• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Concepts from D&D4E that transfer well into True20?

Angellis_ater

First Post
Although the two systems have vastly different agendas and feel, both stem from the same roots in 3.5 which makes me ask - what concepts would do well in a modular system such as True20?

Rituals is one thing that I feel True20 could make easier, and the 4E way might be one way of doing it. Another (which is actually from Tome of Battle) is the per encounter powers. True20 deals out one feat per level allowing people to customize their characters, but I really think that "once per encounter" stuff fits well into True20 - perhaps as part of a Martial Arts style, or more "Warlock-y" stuff (drawing on ancient pacts can only be done as often as that) and allow them to be somewhat more powerful than the standard supernatural powers and feats of True20 (since they are limited in usability).

Any other takers on this?

Greg K

Legend
Any other takers on this?

The only concepts that I can recall wanting to see brought over to True20 from 4e are the unified save and passive perception (or any opposed skill checks). Otherwise, I pretty much hope 4e stays as far away from True20 as possible. I definitely don't want to see the once per encounter stuff brought over . I also don't want to see the consolidated skills, the skill system (I like purchasing my skill ranks), multiple attributes for attacks, or anything else from 4e. ymmv.

Last edited:

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
The aspects of 4e that would do best in True20 IMO are some of the underlying game mechanics math.

Making all the classes progress at +1 per two levels, with static bonuses.

Static defenses instead of saving throws. Keep the toughness-based wound system, but make it a damage roll vs. a static Toughness.

The skill system, included the consolidated skill list, instead of skill points.

Attacks using different attribute bonuses, like "Str vs. Fort" and "Wis vs. Will", for the various powers.

Basically, I think True20 is a fine game system, but it shares some of the bad "math" of 3e, especially at higher levels. High level warriors auto-hit the pathetic Defense of high-level adepts. High level powers automatically succeed (and often instantly kill) high level characters.

Kunimatyu

First Post
I'd be very interested to see a slightly 4-ified True20.

The big thing is the underlying math, as posters have mentioned above.

I also think that rather than having hundreds of powers like D&D4e has, you could probably create a smaller, more generic list and let people choose what they wanted. True20 already has a lot of things that are "once per scene", so scene powers would fit well. One slightly difficult thing is that most powers would not be as level-based, so you would have to balance them differently than 4e does. Interestingly, this would also help with True20's main balance issues -- by combining 10 feats, you can usually craft a very potent combat strategy, one that you do every round over and over.

Monsters would also strongly benefit - True20 preserves much of the unnecessary clunkiness of 3.5, and monster statblocks could be shrunk considerably without losing anything of significance.

Jackelope King

First Post
I've actually included a few 4e concepts (like saves-as-defenses) in a system I created based on Mutants & Masterminds (upon which True20 is based). See the link in my sig for details.

Angellis_ater

First Post
So, going by what people have referenced here, a True20 with a little better math basis (all saves go up by the same amount), passive defenses (Toughness, Fortitude, Reflex, Will).

So, everything increases by ½ level, bonuses to Defenses and Combat Bonuses are based on primary role (so a Warrior would get +2 CB, an Expert +1 and an Adept +0)? One could easily streamline skills and powers to use a base "level+modifier+3" for trained skills and "½ level+modifier" for untrained skills.

But considering how sleek True20 is in other regards I can agree that much is already very fine.

Regarding the "per encounter/scene" concepts I was thinking about, they would all have some form of "recharge mechanic" like Tome of Battle did it. However, I have heard that others have made very martialist releases (Blood & Fists apparently) and I'm gonna look into that.

Remove ads