• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Concerns for the well being of D&D

Klaus

First Post
Now im kind of worried about D&D in terms of classes. If the reprints are stopped we lose our basic classes . Fighter , wizard, cleric, rogue, ranger etc. Dont tell me a knight is the same thing as a fighter. A knight is a very specific kind of fighter. They are NOT the catch all that the fighter is. Also, what about the magic items. Surely they are not going to be able to reprint all of them in these paperback books they are touting. As well as all the classic monsters from MM1. Sure some of them may be in the new manual. I guess what im trying to say is that there is no way the new essentials could possibly give us all that we had in PHB, DM, and MM. As well as the question from new people after essentials looking at new suppliments. PHB 2? Where's PHB 1? As can be said with all of the books.
This is not the 20th century anymore. "Out of Print" =/= "Unavailable".

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
1) Wizards still has the means to reproduce the old mechanics by initiating a new wave of prints if they really feel like it. It's not like they don't still have the PDFs and inDesign files for the original material.

If only there were some method where we could purchase such a pdf, to read and use ourselves. We should pitch that to WotC.

(Not a shot at you ourchair, but one at WotC's pdf policy. Bringing them back would put out a lot of fires on this one.)

Squizzle

First Post
ahr9p.jpg

Also, what about the magic items. Surely they are not going to be able to reprint all of them in these paperback books they are touting.

Why not? There are only 30 pages of Magic Items in the PHB1. If they want to reprint these, they'll certainly be able to find space among the 1200 odd pages of the Essentials Line. It'll be interesting to see if any get in the Rules Compendium, but I'd look for them in the "Heroes of the...." books.

(That said, I don't think they'll bother reprinting all the items - likely only the most basic of items, like the simple +1 Armour and +1 Wand, and Healing Potions. There will be brand-new builds, so I'd expect brand-new items that cover the same niches in a different way.)

the Jester

Legend
Now im kind of worried about D&D in terms of classes. If the reprints are stopped we lose our basic classes ... Also, what about the magic items. Surely they are not going to be able to reprint all of them in these paperback books they are touting. As well as all the classic monsters from MM1. Sure some of them may be in the new manual. I guess what im trying to say is that there is no way the new essentials could possibly give us all that we had in PHB, DM, and MM. As well as the question from new people after essentials looking at new suppliments. PHB 2? Where's PHB 1? As can be said with all of the books.

Don't worry; nobody is going to come take your PH1 away.

Exactly what are you afraid of?

Iconik

First Post
I can only speak about myself, but I'm completely unaffected. I have a PHB, MM, and DMG, and there is no reason to buy a second one. There is also the material in DDI.

Besides, even if there are no reprints currently, first WotC has to run out of stock, then all online retailers, bookstores and local game stores have to run out of stock, then ebay has to ban D&D, and then ... it's 2012, and depending on what prophecy you believe in, it's either the end of the world or WotC will publish a revised PHB (or both).

:devil: Banned for a month on RPG.net for being funny.

Agreed. Between my group and I we have every book imaginable. This doesn't affect me.

Also...care to elucidate on how you got banned for being funny? Sounds like you've a story to tell.

Atlemar

Explorer
You're worrying way too much. You needn't be "concerned" for the "well-being" of the game; it's not going away, and your version of it isn't changing. (Certainly, the ink in the books on your shelf isn't going to update itself, for one thing.)

I would pay so much for a PHB in which the ink automatically updated itself each time a rules update came out. They should sell this as a "magic item": A Players Handbook of Instant Updates.

I would also buy some kind of e-Reader just to get an electronic auto-updating PHB. Or fully updated PHB. And I would pay hardcover price for it, as long as I got the same kind of "lifetime service" I get with my TiVo.

tbarrie

First Post
Why not? There are only 30 pages of Magic Items in the PHB1. If they want to reprint these, they'll certainly be able to find space among the 1200 odd pages of the Essentials Line. It'll be interesting to see if any get in the Rules Compendium, but I'd look for them in the "Heroes of the...." books.

I'd look for them in the DM's Kit, myself.

Remove ads