• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Condition Track?

They've said the development of Saga has partially been a test bed for 4th ed. Has anyone with real knowledge given any info on there being something like the -1/-2/-5/-10/knock out Condition Track appearing in 4th?

I like the idea of the Track, but it would be a major change to DnD combat. I was just curious if anyone at GenCon actually asked.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
A death spiral tied to hit points would be a major turn-off for me. However, a unified condition track that replaced 3.5's umpteen stacking conditions would be a huge boon.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
blargney the second said:
However, a unified condition track that replaced 3.5's umpteen stacking conditions would be a huge boon.
I agree. Also, optional official rules for using the unified condition track to track combat wounds would be appreciated. Those that want that level of "realism" would have official rules for it while those who prefer not to have that level of record keeping or a "death spiral" could ignore it.

In fact, I hope much more of 4D&D's rule subsets are modular and allow groups to use or ignore them without destroying the balance of the system

For example, I would love it if tactical/miniatures combat was optional and could be ignored without upsetting other parts of the rules, such as character creation and advancement.

Stalker0

Legend
Basically in saga, everyone has a threshold (based on your fortitude save plus misc modifiers.)

Whenever you receive a single hit that deals damage above that threshold, you move 1 space down the condition track (there are also special talents that can take you down the track). You receive penalties on attack rolls and things like that. The further down you move, the bigger the penalties.

What I really like about it is the fact that you can recover your place on the track very quickly in combat (I believe spending a full round action moves you 1 space up the track). It encourages characters to pull back and catch their breath, find cover, or even stop and have two combatants stop and give a taunting speech to each other.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Stalker0 said:
Basically in saga, everyone has a threshold (based on your fortitude save plus misc modifiers.)

Whenever you receive a single hit that deals damage above that threshold, you move 1 space down the condition track (there are also special talents that can take you down the track). You receive penalties on attack rolls and things like that. The further down you move, the bigger the penalties.

What I really like about it is the fact that you can recover your place on the track very quickly in combat (I believe spending a full round action moves you 1 space up the track). It encourages characters to pull back and catch their breath, find cover, or even stop and have two combatants stop and give a taunting speech to each other.
If the condition track encourages lulls in battle for repartee, I'm all for it!

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
I really like Saga's condition track. It changes the flow of battle, IMHO it makes more "cinematic" and less "videogamie", as combat it isn't only a succession of blows anymore, there are dramatic pauses to recover breath (and to taunt enemies). It increases "realism" in a very good way. YMMV, of course...

Baumi

Adventurer
The main Advantage of Saga's Condition Track is that it replaces nearly all the (hard to remember) condition's from D&D 3. So Instead of Stunned, Shocked, Dazed, Poisoned, etc. you just have ONE simple Condition Track.

The other cool thing with this is that you can easily make special powers (Feat's, Spell's,...) that effect only the Condition Track, like the Noble in Star Wars who can Intimidate the Enemy which can result in one or more Condition Steps.

I normally don't like Death Spirals, but the Condition Track is separated from the Hit-Points (just very high Damage Attacks affect it), so you can go to 0 HP without ever getting a Step on the Condition Track, or you could get unconscious without loosing all HP's from Gas Grenades or several Crits.

Before I forget ... there is also a interesting rule with the CT: If you go to 0 HP (you cannot get lower in Saga) and don't exceed your Thresehold then you are unconscious, but when you do, you die (but can use a Action Point to stay alive).

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Gentlegamer said:
In fact, I hope much more of 4D&D's rule subsets are modular and allow groups to use or ignore them without destroying the balance of the system.
I like how you think!

One of the things that struck a chord with me about the Champions RPG was that it had a campaign settings page with all sorts of toggle switches and dials so you could customize how your game played. All sorts of game styles could be accounted for by tweaking those settings.

D&D means many different things to many different gamers - it'd be bloody cool if the 4E system had enough built-in modularity to account for a wide variety of tastes.
-blarg

ps - and lulls in combat for taunting would rock.

Remove ads