• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Condition: Weakened

amysrevenge

First Post
Players Handbook Page 277 said:
Weakened: Your attacks deal half damage. Ongoing damage you deal is not affected.

Most other effects differentiate between melee/weapon attacks and other attacks (ie. see Prone on the same page). This one does not. Does that mean that Magic Missile damage is halved if the Wizard is Weakened?

I could justify it if I had to...

scholz

First Post
Related Question

Related Question...
Would you impose a penalty to strength based checks when weakened?
It seems appropriate, and potentially nasty. I had a homebrew monster Jelly Fish that weakened opponents, then grabbed them.

It worked fine. But I wasn't sure how to calculate the effect of weakened on a check (so I gave a -5 penalty to Athletics). What do you think?

James McMurray

First Post
Related Question...
Would you impose a penalty to strength based checks when weakened?
It seems appropriate, and potentially nasty. I had a homebrew monster Jelly Fish that weakened opponents, then grabbed them.

It worked fine. But I wasn't sure how to calculate the effect of weakened on a check (so I gave a -5 penalty to Athletics). What do you think?

It makes sense, but I wouldn't do it. The monsters that weaken are balanced under the assumption that weakening doesn't affect strength. If you only use home brewed monsters whose weakening will interact with strength, and you're sure not to make them too powerful, it shouldn't be a problem.

hennebeck

First Post
A bit of digging up an old thread, but this is the exact topic I was looking for.

Both Weakened and Magic Missile have been changed by errata since this thread started.
From the Compendium:
Weakened
Your attacks deal half damage. However, two kinds of damage that you deal are not affected: ongoing damage and damage that isn’t generated by an attack roll.

Magic Missile
At-Will Arcane, Force, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 20
Target: One creature
Effect: 2 + Intelligence modifier force damage.

So I just want to confirm that Magic Missile dmg would not be halved because it doesn't have an attack roll, correct?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads