• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cone of Secrecy

S'mon

Legend
One of my friends is more comfortable talking about being gay than being a gamer.

I was kinda used to gay gamers keeping quiet about it, at least at the game table, so I was a bit surprised when I joined the games club I'm in now and first session, the GM proclaims: "I'm gay! Is your PC gay? Maybe they have a disability? You can get extra points*!" And it subsequently turns out a very high proportion of the GMs (half?) and players are gay or lesbian, and happy to talk about it. Maybe it's a generational thing, I'm 36 and they're mostly early to mid '20s.

*This was 3.5 D&D too, so playing a hunchbacked lesbian doesn't normally get you extra abilities, per the RAW. He also wanted to know what ethnic minority the PC was - luckily although Thongar the Barbarian was a heterosexual male, I'd already decided he was from an Amerinidian type race, so that was ok.

Kinneus

Explorer
I wrote an essay about discovering D&D for my college creative writing class. I could tell there were some chuckles at my expense, but they couldn't say bunk about the writing itself, so what do I care?

roguerouge

First Post
I'll talk about it. Heck, I even mentioned D&D to my students in class!

It took me years to do that. I eventually shared that I taught a class on DnD to 4th-8th graders, because I was making a point to my college class full of media production students: we're all nerds here. You're at this college to learn how to get paid for being a nerd.

Betote

First Post
I don't hide that I game (or any of my other hobbies, likes or dislikes), but I generally find it rude to talk about things when there's people who don't know what I'm talking about. I don't like anyone to feel excluded from the conversation.
So, I can mention it, but I won't go further than that if I'm not asked to do so.

shilsen

Adventurer
I'll talk about it. Heck, I even mentioned D&D to my students in class!

I don't just mention it to my class. I bring in my dice and use it to choose subjects and speakers and other things during group discussions. My students love it!

WetWombat

First Post
I don't just mention it to my class. I bring in my dice and use it to choose subjects and speakers and other things during group discussions. My students love it!

That must be QUITE the impressive random encounter table, Shilsen! :D I can think of a number of teachers I had in secondary school/high school who would have incorporated the RPG's into their class time or after-class time as teaching tools. I'm looking DIRECTLY at you, Mrs. Weir! :)

THE Wombat(Wet)!

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I've brought it up in class, especially Game Design. Most of my grad students mostly know about it one way or the other. Some of my students play, though I do make it a policy not to game with any of my students for professional reasons. We do swap stories, however.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads