Pathfinder 2E Confession: I Want to Run PF2 But I Don't Want to Learn It

Reynard

Legend
Holy crap, finding players will to give PF2E a try is much more difficult than it should be. I have a potential player pool of about two dozen people and so far ONE has expressed interest.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Holy crap, finding players will to give PF2E a try is much more difficult than it should be. I have a potential player pool of about two dozen people and so far ONE has expressed interest.

I can see two potential opposite problems here; either people in the D&D-sphere who don't see a reason to not just play, well, D&D, or people mostly outside of it who are just generally not fans of D&D style games.

Reynard

Legend
I can see two potential opposite problems here; either people in the D&D-sphere who don't see a reason to not just play, well, D&D, or people mostly outside of it who are just generally not fans of D&D style games.
More the former than the latter in my case. The "why don't we just play 5e?" attitude is very frustrating.

Thomas Shey

Legend
More the former than the latter in my case. The "why don't we just play 5e?" attitude is very frustrating.

It always is; you hear about a lot of people wanting to run things outside of the D&D-sphere that run into this all the time. Sometimes I'm really glad I have decades-old stable groups (though one of those also plays things in the D&D-sphere, but they aren't wedded to it, and even when they do 5e is not likely to be their poison of choice).

Reynard

Legend
Feeling a little frustrated with the limited implementation of PF2 on Fantasy grounds, and feeling a little overwhelmed with the idea of learning Foundry, I am curious how folks who DON'T use a dedicated VTT implementation of PF2E play online? What tools, if any, do you use? How do you help new players create characters or understand their abilities?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Feeling a little frustrated with the limited implementation of PF2 on Fantasy grounds, and feeling a little overwhelmed with the idea of learning Foundry, I am curious how folks who DON'T use a dedicated VTT implementation of PF2E play online? What tools, if any, do you use? How do you help new players create characters or understand their abilities?
Archives of Nethys is an incredible reference source. There is even a new to PF2 section! That's my first, second, and last stop typically.

Ont he topic of Foundry, I am not joking when I say im on my 5th GM conversion. Im not super pushy about it, but cant recommend the VTT enough. Just last week I got yet another, "Why the hell didnt you tell me to get into Foundry sooner?" from a GM. I had to remind them I have been telling them about Foundry for 6 months :LOL:

Thomas Shey

Legend

For our game we use Maptool and Hero Lab Online. I don't consider the latter absolutely necessary, but it can save some time overhead (and add other, as sometimes finding something on the online sheet is not as easy as one could want).

Thomas Shey

Legend
Archives of Nethys is an incredible reference source. There is even a new to PF2 section! That's my first, second, and last stop typically.

Ont he topic of Foundry, I am not joking when I say im on my 5th GM conversion. Im not super pushy about it, but cant recommend the VTT enough. Just last week I got yet another, "Why the hell didnt you tell me to get into Foundry sooner?" from a GM. I had to remind them I have been telling them about Foundry for 6 months :LOL:

Even though I don't need anything more than I have with Maptool, everything I've heard about Foundry tells me that if I was going to change over to a pay tool, that'd be the one (the fact I'm not dependent on someone else's server being not a small one, but there are other virtues).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Even though I don't need anything more than I have with Maptool, everything I've heard about Foundry tells me that if I was going to change over to a pay tool, that'd be the one (the fact I'm not dependent on someone else's server being not a small one, but there are other virtues).
On the note of "paytool" Foundry is a one time 50 dollar fee, not a subscription. So, its very easy to get into and also a perfect #2 option if you do use a sub.

Remove ads