• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Confessions of a FLGS Seasonal Temp

jeff37923

First Post
I took a part-time seasonal temp job at the FLGS for a change of pace and a refreshing break from my usual line of work. I looked upon it as a vacation. Even looked upon it as a way to learn more about the games market from a retail standpoint.

These are my observations from working in a FLGS in Knoxville, Tennessee, USA:

In spite of message boards like this one and others that discuss the game industry, many gamers still do not understand the nature of the game industry. Here's an overheard conversation-
"You know what? I bet Hasbro is making billions of dollars right now."
"Yeah. They own DnD and Magic, that's where they make all their money."
(I couldn't help myself and had a gigglefit one isle over after hearing this. They guys talking did not seem to realise the scope of Hasbro and how much they make off of their other games, like Monopoly and its licensees.)

In spite of a buy 1 get 1 free sale, an original price cut in half as well, and the strong recommendation of all the employees at the store - customers did not purchase the Dungeons and Dragons Basic Game because of the stigma attached to it. I have heard responses of "It's Evil", "Dungeons and Dragons makes young people go crazy", "That game leads to devil worship", and "That game attracts the wrong element to kids who play it" when I showed customers the game. Now, these same parents will immediately pick up anything boardgame related that has "Lord of the Rings" somewhere on its label, usually saying something along the lines of "Oh this is a much better game because you can fight evil in it", and purchase it even though it costs three times as much.
Oh, the irony.
(Now, I purchased one of these for myself to see if it was good or not. After playing it with a rambunctious 12-year old and his parents who picked up on the rules within 15 minutes, I can honestly say that this is the best introductory role-playing game that I have seen in years. IMHO, of course - but its damn good. Buy it if you want to get some total newbies started in the DnD game with minimal fuss.)

For some reason, the glue that holds the hangers onto the boxes of WizKids Marvel and DC Heroes heroclix does not stick. On about 25% of the boxes hung up, the glue seperates and the booster pack boxes fall right off the hanger. This did not deter people from buying them, buy the armful.

Pre-painted plastic miniatures from WotC were hot items. The store I worked at sold out of them. We just couldn't keep enough of them in stock. The miniatures combat rulebooks for both Star Wars and DnD, not as many people seemed to be interested in.

Most of the money made by the store was not from RPGs or Wargames, it was from sales of the games Blokus, Scene-It, Cranium, and Mad-Gab. The interesting thing about the sales of these games was that customers who bought them, would know nothing about the game itself - except that they had seen the game on a TV morning show and remembered the name. So if you want to sell more RPGs, advertise on TV. I also wonder about how a FLGS would be able to survive commercially if it didn't diversify, selling only wargames and RPGs.

All of the cartoons about a game store employee who has had to suffer through listening to the ramblings of a fanboy gamer are true. I watched in horror as a coworker had a "Dork Tower Moment" with a guy whose PC was 54th level in a Star Wars/Star Trek/Stargate/DnD/Cthulhu/Shadowrun/Battletech crossover universe and he had to tell her all about it. When the customer finally wound down and left, she looked at me and said, "That character was the twinkiest twink that was ever twinked."

I'll post some more, but I'm tired now, and could use a beer. G'night.

Turanil

First Post
Really interesting. Thanks.

BTW: of course DnD is evil! It's all about killing, maiming, cleaving, fireballing, etc. ;)

johnsemlak

First Post
jeff37923 said:
a guy whose PC was 54th level in a Star Wars/Star Trek/Stargate/DnD/Cthulhu/Shadowrun/Battletech crossover universe

That guy apparently hasn't read all that stuff about Eberron being a 'low level' setting.

JoeGKushner

First Post
It's always interesting to hear about real world retail experiences.

It's too bad so much of it confirms what we (on EN World) talk about as being truths and that we as gamers, listening to such stories of the twink, have to endure as part of the social circle.

I remember one time being in the store and the speaker kept using the phrase, "like." After about ten minutes of this, I stopped him. "Was it like hot or was it hot? Was it like totally awesome or was it awesome? Was it like happening too, you know, fast, or did it happen quickly." Shut him up for about two minutes while his brain tried to comprehend that using the word like for every sentence was not charming.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Oh I hate that. I have found myself saying things like "And then I was like, and then he was like". And for some reason I can't stop myself.

But I hate hearing "like" as a descriptor.

My favorite response to that is (when I'm feeling sarcastic) is to say "so, is that metaphysically like, or realistically like?") That usually gives them a good pause, at least until they slap me.

jeff37923

First Post
OK, I have some mead now (yes, I found a liquor store that sells mead here, mead is tasty by the way), and I'm off to report part deux.

Be careful of the reputation of your DM style, your infamy will proceed you. Every employee in the store knew who the local DM of a game was when a kid came in and told us that his fighter had been killed by an enraged, hasted cow in a DnD game....

The games that sold well were everything new World of Darkness, WotC Eberron sourcebooks and splatbooks, new GURPS 4th Edition books and pre-4th edition sourcebooks, we sold out of the supply of Steve Jackson Games "fun" games (like Ninja Burger, Munchkin and its expansions, and Chez Geek and its expansions), Pirates of the Spanish Main, and Iron Kingdoms books and minis.

One of the things that sold well that I didn't think would, were the Instant Adventures by Fantasy Flight Games. They would be picked up because they were inexpensive and added to the larger purchases, then the same customer would come back in a few days and buy a couple more. Now, these little gems have always been a favorite of mine - but I didn't think others liked them as well.

The stuff that didn't sell well was Mage Knight (even though the DC and Marvel hero clix went flying off the shelves - bad hanger glue notwithstanding), any d20 sourcebook with RA Salvatore's name on it (which was surprising to me, since he has good name recognition amoungst gamers), and Magic Card sales paled in comparison to sales of Yu-Gi-Oh cards (outsold by a 5 to 1 margin).

An interesting arguement for having people play role-playing games over computer games (playstation, xbox, whatever) was heard when a lady explained to her boyfriend (husband?) that RPGs taught and reinforced face-to-face social skills that don't get to be developed in computer games. I'm still thinking about that one because it has interesting ramifications if correct.

A note on manners if you are in a FLGS browsing the game sourcebooks. It is inappropriate to sit down on the floor and pull out some paper and start copying the information in a sourcebook for your own use if you do not intend to purchase that sourcebook. It is also really funny to watch a customer who has just been kicked out for the above inappropriate behavior to complain about your "lousy customer service".

That's about it. I have only worked at the FLGS for a few days during the busy season, but after venturing into that strange land behind the counter I hope to have brought back some useful information for you all. Now I am in need of more mead.

G'night.

Remove ads