• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conflicting Magical Energies

Xaov

First Post
I was just thinking all the magical Items have specific body parts that they affect. Gauntlets of Ogre power, boots of speed. I wonder if the reason these items have specific places to wear them if there is such thing as conflicting magical energies. where multiple effects affecting one area, such as multiple effects on gauntlets. would have adverse affects or would in turn cancel each other out.

If this were true I wonder if a person could actually enchant a body part such as having their eyes enchanted with detect alignment. Or their tounge with ghost sound.

what are your thoughts.

Janx

Hero
I suspect they were defined as specific body locations for 2 reasons:
1: so they don't physically conflict, allowing you to wear both of them
2: because they reflect the attribute and usage. Speed = feet = moving faster. Strength = arms = hitting harder.

So I don't think there's any metaphysical reason for it. It just enables stacking. They could have been gloves of speed, boots of strength, but that would have sounded dumb.

Janx

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Janx said:
2: because they reflect the attribute and usage. Speed = feet = moving faster. Strength = arms = hitting harder.

So I don't think there's any metaphysical reason for it.

Well, #2 there actually comprises an implied metaphysical reason - the form the item needs to take tends to follow the effect the item will have. Form follows function, magically speaking.

Staffan

Legend
In 3.5e (as opposed to 3.0), different item types have affinities for different types of effects. Goggles are good for improving perception, cloaks are good for transformation and protection, boots are good for movement, and so on. Putting an effect in an inappropriate item slot (e.g. boots of darkvision) increases the cost by 50%.

the Jester

Legend
Xaov said:
If this were true I wonder if a person could actually enchant a body part such as having their eyes enchanted with detect alignment. Or their tounge with ghost sound.

I think this kind of thing is provided for in the game in two interesting ways: the permanency spell (and remember, though there's a list there it states that the dm might allow characters to research other permanency spell applications) and grafts, introduced in the Fiend Folio and expanded upon in Libris Mortis. Grafts are basically thingies like a bodak eye that act as magical body parts that you graft on in place of your own.

Gez

First Post
You can always dig up the old editions' chart for potion mixing and use those for the result of multiple effects on the same body part.

Whimsical

Explorer
Dragonstar has rules for a new category of magic "items" called spellware. Spellware is a form of arcane biomodificdation, a process of imbuing magical effects not in inanimate objects but in living, organic beings. Using spellware, characters can enhance their existing abilities or gain new ones they could never otherwise possess. Basically this is magical cyberware. It can be suppressed by targeted dispel magic or antimagic field, but it's an integral part of their body and cannot be damaged directly and never has to make item saving throws, but is destroyed if the body is destroyed. They require their own feat for the spellcaster to infuse a person with spellware with the additional requirement of having to make a Profession (surgeon) check, and it cost the same as an equivelent slotted magic item, but I think that they probably should cost as much as a slotless item. Another difference is that it takes one hour per 1,000 [gp] to implant opposed to the 1 day per 1,000 gp that other magic items take.

One thing to consider is that having D&D characters with such enhancements makes them feel more like superpowered superheroes than legendary or mythological beings. So you should consider if you mind or don't mind the change of tone that will occur in your campaign before you allow such an option. Spellware fits the theme and tone of Dragonstar perfectly since Dragonstar is the infusion of D&D magic and setting with sci-fi elements. My cleric had magical adamantine retractible claws added to herself just in case she is ever ambushed without her gear or imprisoned without her gear. This is the most "cyber" enhancement in the book. Everthing else works just like if you enhanced a person directly with magic.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads