• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Confusion Spell too Powerful?

Kor

First Post
I am running a Pathfinder campaign and I like how Paizo has nerfed a lot of the over-powered spells. In similar fashion, I am thinking of nerf'ing the confusion spell.

I am quite certain that this spell is far too powerful and needs some nerf’ing. When I played my Beguiler in 3.5e, I loved this spell. I constantly wrecked the DM’s plans with this spell, especially considering the save DC against my spells was insanely high.

Of course the tables have turned now, and now that DM has a bard player in my Pathfinder campaign, and yes, the confusion spell is now constantly wrecking what should be difficult encounters.

The spell itself affects a 15’ radius burst area, so it has the potential to effect 24 targets and remove them from the battle for many rounds. That already makes it a potent spell, but so does the sole save versus a continuing mind affect against the target’s nature.

Additionally, the “any confused character who is attacked automatically attacks its attackers on its next turn” clause even makes this spell more powerful. Instead of rolling confusing next turn (and possibly rolling “acts normally”, it attacks its attacker – which is probably fair if the attacker is an adjacent melee attacker. When the attacker is a ranged character (or a flying wizard) then this basically removes the target from battle. I don’t believe the confused character has the presence of mind to avoid attacks of opportunity, so they will run past the other PC’s, drawing the AoO’s while trying to get at the ranged attacker.

Here are the changes that I think should be made to balance this spell:

#1. Whenever the affected target of a confused spell rolls a result which is against its normal behaviour, it may attempt another Will saving throw to end the confusion effect.

#2. Any confused character who is attacked in melee by an adjacent adversary, automatically attacks the adjacent attackers on its next turn.

Do these changes seem balanced for this 4th level Wizard/Sorcerer (3rd level Bard) spell?

Flatus Maximus

First Post
I don’t believe the confused character has the presence of mind to avoid attacks of opportunity, so they will run past the other PC’s, drawing the AoO’s while trying to get at the ranged attacker.

I'm not sure this is implied. Note that in the spell's description, it says that attackers are not at any special advantage when attacking a confused character. It's not like he's dazed or something, just confused about what is his best course of action. If this specific part is what is bothering you, you could probably just drop it and always roll on the table. If it still isn't to your taste, just increase the probability associated with acting normally, maybe decreasing the probability associated with babbling.

insanogeddon

First Post
Conflict and Confusion about Confusion, Confused??

We were!

We had similar issues, which led to arguements. Some Dms/players act one way when they are hit by it but expect others to act different when their hit by it.

Re writing spells is a pain for all and new players. We ruled the spell is exactly as it is, you are really confused in a hazzy fog of singular appathy and singular rage (thus would provoke).

We also ruled it effects a singular target.

Fix was universally effective and accepted, no complaints and no lack of it in our game... its become a save or die with a tactical risk component, those that love it still love it, those that don't don't. Even the ones who have always disliked it look on whimsically as it works and whine venomously at caster spell choice when it doesn't. But they are happy as its speedy now (24 pple hit and tracking them is a PAIN and make everyone hate the spell).
Those with wit do better than those without as they cast it with pertinent timing and position advantage. Being single target makes it special.

For those that dislike the one target if your group agrees try 1 target per 4 levels within 30 ft of eachother or whatever (like haste or slow).

Granted loosing burst type mechanics and adding targeting brings in line of sight issues but for mind effects its pretty acceptable.

(alas for the confusion/quicken fog cloud combo!)

Last edited:

Sparafucile

First Post
We also ruled it effects a singular target.

For me, the nasty part of this spell is that it drags the encounter to a halt, as I have to roll for the # of creatures affected.

For my game, this change alone solves that problem. And of course, as a DM, I don't use this spell at all.

insanogeddon

First Post
"Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

True as a DM you rarely need a spell to confuse players, have a chance they damage eachother or make them act generally crazy.

As a DM best to use that your DM slot for 'CRUSHING DESPAIR' !!!

Remove ads