• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Congrats Frog God / Mythmere

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Congratulations on the hit product!

I think a big part of the success is because of diaglo's years of posting about the supremacy of the OD&D: "the one true game".

I used to think he was just insane but, after I downloaded the S&W White Box rules some time ago, I realised that he was right: OD&D was (and is) a superb game. It just needed a less self-indulgent author to clean it up and that's what I think S&W has done really well.

I've bought the PDF but am also considering a hard copy version at some point. Of course, that will be driven by whether or not I can convince my group to play something other than 4E!

Best wishes for the product's continued success.

Mythmere1

First Post
Congratulations on the hit product!

I think a big part of the success is because of diaglo's years of posting about the supremacy of the OD&D: "the one true game".

Very true, and also the fact that Necromancer Games maintained the highly-visible motto of "Third Edition Rules, First Edition Feel." Those two mottos continued to remind people that older editions remained unique in terms of rules and feel rather than simply being identical but flawed versions of what came later.

There's a large base of gamers who simply never shifted to later editions, but many gamers (including me) moved on to later editions on auto-pilot and didn't (or perhaps still haven't) realized that several edition-shifts have brought the game into a qualitatively different sort of rule-set entirely.

I'm not saying that one is inherently better than the other, but the difference, at this point, is so large that one can essentially try out a "new" version of the game by going back and trying out the earlier editions. Most gamers have had a chance to sample and evaluate the later styles of the game, but many people are simply unaware -- except for the reminders offered by Diaglo and Necromancer -- that there even is a distinct earlier style of gaming that's equally worth trying out.

Plaguedguy

First Post
It was an overview of this new 'complete' version that made me pull the trigger on purchasing the pdf. I had previously used the free download version and enjoyed running an old school session with it. This expanded version has a great selection of options and additions, especially w/ regards to PCs.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
(snip) There's a large base of gamers who simply never shifted to later editions, but many gamers (including me) moved on to later editions on auto-pilot and didn't (or perhaps still haven't) realized that several edition-shifts have brought the game into a qualitatively different sort of rule-set entirely. (snip)

I've embraced the later editions but I keep hankering after the earlier style of game and I think some of my players do too.

However, 1E and 2E just don't cut it (I hope I can say that without provoking an edition war or even skirmish) but something about Swords & Wizardry really clicks for me. I should stress, too, that playing 3.xE and 4E have better prepared me to run S&W: both of them made me think of what combat actually entails but, rather than relying on the rules (and particularly 4E powers), I can work results into the narrative instead.

Anyway, I hope S&W continues to succeed.

Mythmere1

First Post
... playing 3.xE and 4E have better prepared me to run S&W: both of them made me think of what combat actually entails but, rather than relying on the rules (and particularly 4E powers), I can work results into the narrative instead.

Anyway, I hope S&W continues to succeed.

I played 2e and 3e myself before starting a journey back to the roots of the game - I don't want to portray myself as someone who never shifted editions. I think it does give a different perspective on the open-ended game to have played a more rules-comprehensive game.

Even back in the day, that was true with RuneQuest and D&D. Lots of people shifted back and forth between the two approaches.

Remove ads