• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conjuration (Creation) spells subject to DR?

drdevoid

Explorer
My group is currently adjudicating Conjuration (Creation) spells as subject to Damage Reduction. Seeing as I was asked to play a warmage, this greatly affects him.

Does anyone know where they are getting this? I looked through the FAQ and the Errata for CA and SpC and didn't see anything about it.

I realize that they aren't subject to SR, but having to throw away 2 feats to get precise shot was a bit of a barrier to entry as well.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Complete Psionic retooled the damaging creation powers to be resisted by DR. Wouldn't be a stretch to do the same to the analogous magic spells.

glass

(he, him)
drdevoid said:
My group is currently adjudicating Conjuration (Creation) spells as subject to Damage Reduction.
By RAW, no spell effect is ever subject to Damage Reduction. IMO those that conjure physical objects should be (so IMC they are).

In any case, if you are thinking of the Orbs, energy is never subject to DR but as Jhulae points out is subject to Energy Resistance.

glass.

drdevoid

Explorer
blargney the second said:
Complete Psionic retooled the damaging creation powers to be resisted by DR. Wouldn't be a stretch to do the same to the analogous magic spells.

That's got to be it.

Complete Psionic pg. 79 said:
Sidebar: Metacreativity and Damage Reduction

Any damage-dealing metacreativity power that specifies slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning damage does not automatically overcome a creature's damage reduction.

Such powers include crystal shards (EPH 89), hail of crystals (EPH 111), swarm of crystals (EPH 134), burrowing bonds (page 79) and crystal swarm (page 81).

Jhulae

First Post
drdevoid said:
That's got to be it.

Yet, based on that quote, DR only protects against P/S/B (IE physical) damage, not Energy damage, which 99% of the conjuration spells produce.

So, again, the group is adjudicating incorrectly according to the rules.

mvincent

Explorer
From the 3.5 FAQ (if desired):
"How do spells like Evard’s black tentacles and ice storm
affect a creature with damage reduction overcome by magic
and bludgeoning? Do the tentacles and hailstones deal
magical bludgeoning damage?

Any damage dealt by a spell or other magical effect is
unaffected by damage reduction."

and

"Does damage reduction help against powers that deal
slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning damage, such as crystal
shard (Expanded Psionics Handbook, page 89)?

Spells (and powers), spell-like abilities, and energy attacks
ignore damage reduction (Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 292).
Thus, even if a spell or power describes its damage as
bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing, it is still a spell (or power)
effect, and thus damage reduction does not apply (unless the
spell or power’s description specifically states otherwise)."

I'm guessing that the OP's group isn't "getting" their method from anywhere, so much as it just makes intuitive sense to them (as it would to many people that hadn't read the FAQ's ruling, self included).

drdevoid

Explorer
Jhulae said:
So, again, the group is adjudicating incorrectly according to the rules.

Yes, I concur. I've taken it up with the DM, and he's fine with that interpretation. At first I was having a "WTF?" moment.

DR + Energy Resistance + no ability to leverage low level spells= bad.

Remove ads