• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conjurations and Movement

The Rules Compendium seems somewhat unclear. Reading on-line debates about the matter seem in inconclusive. There seems to be good and bad arguments on both sides of the issue. The consensus seems to be, its a DM's call. My personal opinion is, to allow conjurations to move in any direction, given that conjuration powers can be easily wasted otherwise, and controllers aren't "sexy", and my experience is that people tend not to play them, thus, I don't want to create another incentive not to play one. And, heck, conjurations are magic (I know that's not a good argument). That said, I heard that the official answer is, that you can manifest a conjuration in the air, but after you do so, it can only move horizonally afterward, unless it says in the power block that it can fly.
But has there been an official answer as to whether or not conjurations can move vertically and horizonally? And if so, is there a source I can cite?

Last edited:

Fkewl

First Post
For my lvl 18 Psion, his Dreamform and me, we use the following rules

Occupies No Squares
The conjuration occupies no squares. The conjuration does not need to be supported by a solid surface, so it can float in the air.

Movable Conjurations
If the power used to create a conjuration allows it to be moved, it’s a movable conjuration.
A conjuration can’t be moved through blocking terrain.

Air is not blocking terrain so since it floats, horizontal movement seem allowed.

(and for Controllers not being sexy, i concur. Devastating is a better word! My DM cries every time he hears "Dishearten" and then being hit with at least -5 to -9 and more penalties to attack on most of his monsters. And then the players rejoince in the sweet sweet sound of "swish, the monsters misses..")

Last edited:

Thanks for your perspective.
Ah, yes, a psion spamming Dishearten, augmented, combined with things like psychic lock, is enough to make any DM pull his or her hair out (and also creates a big debate as to whether or not 4ed failed in its psion design, and psionics, in general). That said, being that our DM has somewhat of an advesarial attitude towards the players, I just might have to make such a psion for our upcoming paragon LFR campaign. Thanks for reminding me.

Remove ads