• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Connor's Sorta Low CR Monster Thread- To be updated... eventually...

ConnorSB

First Post
Blackdirge has a very excelent thread which I will eventually put in a link to, but most of the monsters in it are of very high CR. Thats fine for crazy high level people, but what about all those campaigns that haven't been going for years and years? They need monsters too! So thats what this thread is for- monsters of reletivly low CR.

Oh, and for those who visit the Rogue's Gallery often, my screen name used to be Grim. My "old" low CR thread can be found in my signature, as well as a few other threads of mine.

I love comentary and criticism, so feel free to rip everything I do apart... or not. Hopefully not.

Here's a cool menu (blatently taken from Iron Sheep's thread)
EDIT: This Menu now includes monsters from my old thread. Yay!

Generic monsters:
Unique Mosnters:
Paired Monsters:
And more to come!

Last edited:

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
You're Grim!?

Damn, I wondered what happened to you. I just thought you got tired of reading my threads. :D

Cool, I look forward to your creations.

Dirge

ConnorSB

First Post
NarlethDrider said:
any chance of seeing your canopy scorpions?

Wha... what?

Cool idea though. Its got me thinking. The answer is... yes.

EDIT: I see where you found it... in the other thread...

The Vorpal Tribble said:
I've written up many original creatures for my MUD (Multi-User Domain) game and if you guys like I could write up a few but I've not played D&D for very long and am not sure how I would adjust them to Con and HP and such. Several examples include:

Forests: Burl-tortoise/Unihorns (not Unicorns, but Unihorns)
[BIG LIST]
Jungle: Necropedes
Canopy: Canopy Scorpion

Well... it wasn't my post, but I made it anyway. In fact, some of the stuff on that list looks pretty interesting. Hmmm....

Last edited:

ConnorSB

First Post
Here it is, NarlethDrider, the Canopy Scorpion. A few of the templates were a bit ambiguous, as I applied them to the “wrong” type of monsters (baboons aren’t humanoids, which might have screwed up the tauric template a bit). Hmm… maybe they should be allowed the use of their hands; those six arms are somehow useless… Anyway, I did the best I could, although the CR might be a little low. They seem to have a LOT of sensory abilities that could really change the nature of a fight. But here they are:

Canopy Scorpion: Insectile Tauric Baboon/Large Monstrous Scorpion.
Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 5d8+ 10 (32 hp)
Initiative: + 6.
Speed: 50ft, climb 50ft.
AC: 20 (+2 Dex, +8 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: + 5
Attack: 2 Claws +8 (1d6+3), Bite +8 (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Attack: 2 Claws +8 (1d6 +3), Bite +8 (1d6 +3), Sting +3 (1d6+1 + poison).
Face/Reach: 10 ft x 10 ft/ 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, Squeeze, Poison
Special Qualities: Vermin, Scent, Darkvision 60ft, Tremorsense 60ft, Wide Vision
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +3.
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 4.
Skills: Hide +16 (8), Spot +21 (8), Climb: +15 (0)
Feats: Improved Initiative, Cleave, Alertness (bonus feat)
CR: 4 (CR 5 in a dead magic zone)

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the canopy scorpion must hit with its claw attack. If the attack succeeds, it may attempt to grapple its opponent as a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If it gets a hold, it hangs on and stings.

Squeeze (Ex): A canopy scorpion that gets a hold on an opponent of its size or smaller automatically deals damage with both claws, and can bite and sting at its full attack value.

Poison (Ex): This poison is injected after every successful sting attack. It’s fortitude saves have a DC of 18, and damage is temporary: 1d6 Str initial,1d6 Str secondary.

Vermin Traits (Ex): Canopy scorpions are immune to mind affecting abilities, feats, or spells.

Scent (Ex): Canopy scorpions can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. If they are downwind from their opponents, this range increases to 60ft. If they are upwind, it drops to 15ft. This ability allows a general sense of the source of the smell; it can only be pinpointed if it is within 5ft. This ability allows the canopy scorpion track its prey, following by its sense of smell. The DC for a fresh trail is 10, with a +2 to the DC for every hour the trail has gone cold. It is unaffected by surface condition and poor visibility. Otherwise it functions as the Track feat.

Darkvision (Ex): This ability functions exactly like in the PHB, with a range of 60 ft.

Tremorsense (Ex): The canopy scorpion can automatically sense the location of anything within 60ft as long as it is in contact with the ground or with surrounding plant matter.

Wide Vision (Ex): Because of its multiple eyes, a canopy scorpion has a +4 racial bonus to spot checks, and cannot be flanked. These abilities stack with all other skill bonuses, including other racial bonuses.

Skill Bonuses (Ex): Canopy scorpions gain a +4 racial bonus to climb, hide and spot checks. This bonus stacks with all other skill bonuses, including other racial bonuses. Its climb speed grants it an additional +8 bonus to all climb checks.

History and Description:
Created by the Necromancers of the Ju’lessa jungle, Canopy Scorpions are perfect guardians for the City of the Dead.

The Ju’lessa jungles have never been a stable place. They are, in fact, a roiling green sea of chaos: new species constantly emerge from the riots of plant matter, and are just as quickly destroyed. You never know quite what to expect when you journey into its depths.

Long ago, the jungle was a simple forest. At the center was an ancient temple to a god of death. Great battles of magic were fought around the temple, as it was a scourge upon the surrounding nations. The land became tainted with magic: blood and arcane energy seeped deep into the earth, turning it sour. The temple fell, but the taint remained. And slowly the jungle itself became a greater threat than the temple had ever been.

Enter the Necromancers. They preached a neutral view of death: it was a natural part of life, and unlife was simply the next step. As the surrounding kingdoms fell prey to the strange creatures that emerged from the jungle, their farmland disappearing as the vicious green spread, the Necromancers made an offer. They would suppress the jungle’s growth, as long as they were given the use of the temple within. They promised not to use it for evil, and the nations agreed. A great spell was cast, the jungles receded, and the Necromancers took the temple for their own, and built a great city around it.

And so it was, and now is, that the entire Ju’lessa jungle is a zone of dead magic, save for the City of the Dead at its heart. True, it is still a place of constant change, as all jungles are. But no longer does dark magic fuel its growth.

But the dead magic presented the necromancers with a problem. They needed to guard their city. They could not defend the entire border of the jungle, nor could they defend just the city; the jungle was where the defenses would have to be made.

Mundane defenses, pitfalls, spikes and traps, were the first thought. And they were easily installed. But still, in a city of mages, who could defend a place where magic did not function?

Charrum Darius was their salvation. He was not actually a necromancer, but close to it. He was not fascinated with unlife but rather the alteration of life itself. Specifically, he was a passionate crossbreeder. And so the mantel fell on his shoulders to create a creature through magic, which was in the end devoid of any magic. And so the Canopy Scorpion was born.

With the body of a scorpion, and a baboon’s torso emerging from its neck, itself with six arms and eyes, and covered with chitin, the canopy scorpion was a sight to behold. It climbed using both the six arms on its baboon torso, and the six legs on its scorpion abdomen. Its claws emerged from behind the baboon torso, and were quite powerful. Its tail was long and sharp, and dripped with venom. And its mouth was a horrible amalgam of a baboon’s sharp teeth and an insect’s mandibles, huge and vicious.

The canopy scorpions possessed extraordinary sensory organs: their many eyes provided a huge range of vision, even in the dark. Their noses somehow survived the crossbreeding process, and are used to sniff out prey. Additionally, their many appendages can sense the most minute of vibrations, letting them sense any enemy that touched the ground. Their poison was a natural secretion, in no way magical but still potent.

Tactics: Canopy scorpions typically hide in the upper reaches of the jungle’s trees. They drop down on their prey silently, hoping for surprise. If they do attack first, they typically grab with their powerful claws before biting at their victims neck (to silence the screams). When they are granted a full attack action, they sting their victims and bite and claw until they die, then use their cleave attack to grab the next one and repeat the process.

Even out of their natural habitat, canopy scorpions are extremely good at sensing intruders, as their scent and tremorsense abilities let them find invisible opponents (even if they are flying, they still smell). They are always alert. At the first sign of opponents, they will attempt to hide (so that they can surprise whatever it is) and, baring that, they will simply charge the being.

Last edited:

NarlethDrider

First Post
ConnorSB said:
Here it is, NarlethDrider, the Canopy Scorpion. A few of the templates were a bit ambiguous, as I applied them to the “wrong” type of monsters (baboons aren’t humanoids, which might have screwed up the tauric template a bit). Hmm… maybe they should be allowed the use of their hands; those six arms are somehow useless… Anyway, I did the best I could, although the CR might be a little low. They seem to have a LOT of sensory abilities that could really change the nature of a fight. But here they are:

Rules are meant to be broken :D ---I like it alot, it will definately see some use in one of my Arcana Unearthed campaigns---it may get a little bit of tweaking, though that will be only to 'fit' it in to whats going on ;)

feel free to post more strangeness, cause I can definately use it since the AU game I'll bee using the canopy scorpion in takes place on a large, mostly unexplored jungle covered continent

heres the game 'blurb':
Many years ago, the giant Kath-zrell founded the new land of
Tyrzra'eln (the world's garden). This large continent offered a vast
wealth of natural resources, but, like many treasures, it is guarded.
Dinosaurs, giant vermin, & reptile & vermin-kin are numerous on this
island and, along with serveral tribes of humanoids, man-eating
plants, & fallen ancient races, Tyrzra'eln demands a hardy price for
those who wish to reap her offerings.

After many disastorous missions with his ship's crew, Kath-zrell
decided to take a different route to exploit Tyrzra'eln. With his
merchant's guild, the walled port city of Drak-skorn was built. Since
then, Kath-zrell has named himself Steward & has been recruiting any & all to set sail to Tyrzra'eln to explore & procure the offerings of the continent.

ConnorSB

First Post
Here's the half-illithid kuo-toa. Mmm.... lighting and psionics...

Tzakua, Half Illithid Kuo-toa
Medium Size Aberration
Hit Dice: 2d8 +2 (11hp).
Initiative: + 0.
Speed: 20, swim 50.
AC: 19 (+7 natural, +2 large shield).
Base Attack/Grapple: + 2.
Attack: Spear +3(1d8+1), 1 Tentacle +3 (1d4).
Full Attack: Spear +3(1d8+1), 4 Tentacles +3 (1d4).
Face/Reach: 5ft by 5ft / 5ft.
Special Attacks: Lightning Bolt, Pincer Staff, Mind Blast, Improved Grab, Extract.
Special Qualities: Keen Sight, Slippery, Adhesive, Immunities, Electricity Resistance 30, Light Blindness, Amphibious, Darkvision, Spell Resistance, Telepathy.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +7.
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 17, Wis 18, Cha 12.
Skills: Escape Artist +18, Knowledge or Craft (any one) +8, Listen +11, Move Silently +3, Search +12, Spot +13.
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude.
CR: 5

Lightning Bolt: This rule to complicated to reproduce here. As Kuo-toa, page 126 in MM3E

Pincer Staff: This rule to complicated to reproduce here. As Kuo-toa, page 126 in MM3E

Mind Blast: 1/day, A tzakua can fire a cone of psionics 40ft long. Anyone caught in this cone must succeed on a Will save (DC 16) or be stunned for 1d4 rounds.

Improved Grab: A tzakua that hits an opponent medium size or smaller with its tentacle attack deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action which does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If it gets a hold, attaches the tentacle to the opponent’s head. After a successful grab, the tzakua can try to attach its remaining tentacles with a single grapple check. The opponent can escape with a single successful grapple or escape artist check, but the tzakua gets a +2 circumstance bonus for each attached tentacle.

Extract: A tzakua that successfully maintains its hold with all four tentacles for 1 full round automatically extracts the opponent’s brain at the beginning of its next turn, instantly killing the creature.

Psionics: A tzakua can cast Detect Thoughts 3/day at a DC of 15.

Keen Sight: Tzakua have excellent vision thanks to their independently focusing eyes. Theycan spot a moving object or creature even if it is invisible, ethereal, or astral. Only be remaining perfectly still can such things avoid their notice.

Slippery: Tzakua secrete an oily film that makes them impossible to snare. Webs, magic or otherwise, don’t affect them in the least.

Adhesive: This rule to complicated to reproduce here. As Kuo-toa, page 126 in MM3E

Immunities: Tzakua are immune to poison and paralysis, and illusions hold no reality for them, as their eyes see right past them.

Light Blindness: Upon encountering a bright light, tzakua are blinded for one round, and suffer a –1 circumstance penalty to all attacks, saves, and checks while operating in such light.

Amphibious: Tzakuas have gills, but can operate on land indefinitely.

Darkvision: A tzakua has darkvision with a range of 60ft.

Spell Resistance: A tzakua has SR 12.

Telepathy: A tzakua can communicate with any creature within 100 ft that has a language.

Background:
As breeding pools function mostly the same way, it was no surprise that when the over-brain took the Kuo-taun city of Blindiglub, the mind flayers took the pool as their own. They left the kuo-toa spawn in it, figuring that their own spawn would quickly destroy the vile little wrigglers. But a few survived until maturation, at which point the illithid spawn injected themselves into the fledgling kuo-toa. Before they realized it, the mind flayers had a new set of servants.

Despite being an accident, Illithid-kin kuo-toas, or Tzakua as the mind flayers called them, were useful servants. They make excellent guards, due to their keen eyesight. Because of the kuo-toan motherly instinct, which was to guard the brood at all costs, they also make excellent tenders for the spawning pools. Truly, one wriggling mass of dripping flesh looks much like another.

Tactics: Much like mind flayers, tzakua will open up a fight with their mind blast attack, before closing to melee and attempting as many extractions as possible.

[EDIT] I forgot to note what its SA and SQ's types were. I'll do that soon.

Last edited:

ConnorSB

First Post
That half-troll gargoyle is about halfway done. My next project will be Gummy, the gelatinous bullette. Ahh... jumping jelly bullettes...

Remove ads