• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conquest of Bloodsworn Vale [IC]

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Aelish Karn (Human Male Herald) HP: 33

Aelish smiles as Aldur aptly speaks his mind. "Shandul, I have a map here of the region. Would you mind taking a look at and let me know what you think of it? If there is any thing that needs to be corrected or added let me know, as I want this to be as accurate as possible." He looks to the caravaners and their on going discussion, and then to Aldur as the dwarf awaits their imminent decision.

Last edited:

s@squ@tch

First Post
Percivilis and Jerivan

Percivilis looks between the woodsman, the Aelish, and Aldur.

He looks briefly back at Jerivan on his mount, sees Jerivan give him a slight shake of the head, meaning that the woodsman did not seem to have evil in his soul.

Turning back to the woodsman,"So, the problem as I come to understand it, is that there is a large tree blocking the path."

"Surely there are a large number of capable caravan guards who are handy with an axe -- if there is not a way around the fallen tree."

"Shandul, I take it that you have seen the obstacle blocking our path, I would welcome your counsel on the best course of action for my merchant friends."

YeOldeAlbatross

First Post
At last, the merchants in charge of the caravan, with Shandul's aid, conclude that the best way to get around the fallen tree is to take a roundabout course that avoids the worst of the tangled rosebush thickets that dot the landscape. With the decision made, the caravan sets into motion once more. Shandul joins with the traveling wagons as they proceed toward the fort.

The going is slow for the wagons and horses, and so it is well into the afternoon of the next day when the caravan finally reaches Fort Thorn. The fort is a walled community surrounded by a 20-foot-tall palisade of tree trunks, upended and carved to a point. The group cannot help but notice that beyond this security, there is nothing but wilderness...tall trees and endless thickets of wild rose bushes. There are no farms or outlying buildings of any sort. Fort Thorn is truly an island in the surrounding wild.

Just outside the walls of Fort Thorn is a small building manned by a pair of guards. These sentries briefly question the head of the caravan, but in short order they wave to two more guards atop the gatehouse to open the gate. The large wooden gate slowly opens with a creak, and the caravan enters the fort proper. With that, the merchants begin to busy themselves with the unloading of the supplies and provisions on the carts, leaving the adventurers to their own devices.

OOC: Fort Thorn at last! Things should be able to pick up substantially on my end now. Note that I have updated the first post in the thread with a map of the Fort. At this point, it is up to you whether you want to seek an audience with Lord Tolgrith immediately, or first explore the Fort. Please keep up the good role-playing, as it is important that the characters continue to establish their 'voices.' :)

FreeXenon

As the caravan moves to enter Fort Thorn, Aelish guides "Thunder" towards the guard house and just before he get gets there he takes off his gloves. He approaches the guard house so that the side of the him that will be exposed to the guard will be the hand that has his Herald's Ring on.

He approaches and says "Greetings soldiers of Fort Thorn." while holding his hand obviously out for them to see and to hide it from others' immediate view. He says quietly "My companions and I seek counsel with Captain Tolgrith."

[YEO OOC: [sblock]During this trip I would have been spending and inordinate amount of time talking to people (Info Gathering as well as Sense Motive) to get a good feel for their motives for this trip. I would be looking for anyone that might be trouble (running from the law or going to cause trouble) or might be a good ally. I most likely ended up with the adventures that is our group. I would also be looking for what noble families, churches, and merchant guilds are present.

I would also pay close attention to what languages are spoken and by whom which may be a indicator for 'other' things. I am also curious about any knowledge I have of the Vale.

What do I know of this Captain Tolgrith. :D[/sblock]
]

Last edited:

Azgulor

Adventurer
Aldur approaches Shandul as the caravan begins making its way into the fort. He thrusts out his right hand, saying, "Aldur Rulmklin. You happen to know where a dwarf can get a drink around here? I could stand to wash the trail dust down."

Boddynock

First Post
Shandul looks over the map which Aelish hands to him.

"Good map," he says, then hands it back.

When they arrive at the fort, he waits patiently while papers are checked. Then, once they've moved inside the walls, he stands looking around. His stance is relaxed - almost somnolent - but his eyes don't miss much.

When Aldur introduces himself, he takes his hand in a firm grip. When asked where the dwarf can get a drink, he gestures to the nearest well.

[sblock=OOC]No doubt Shandul knows where the tavern is - and he'd be happy to oblige. I just don't have a clue. :lol: [/sblock]

YeOldeAlbatross

First Post
FreeXenon said:
As the caravan moves to enter Fort Thorn, Aelish guides "Thunder" towards the guard house and just before he get gets there he takes off his gloves. He approaches the guard house so that the side of the him that will be exposed to the guard will be the hand that has his Herald's Ring on.

He approaches and says "Greetings soldiers of Fort Thorn." while holding his hand obviously out for them to see and to hide it from others' immediate view. He says quietly "My companions and I seek counsel with Captain Tolgrith."
The guard at the gatehouse takes a look at the device on Aelith's finger, and nods in understanding. "Aye, and the Captain will be glad to see you, too, I'd wager. Especially what with that work crew disappearing. You can find him in the Keep." The guard gestures toward the large building directly to the north. (A3)

[sblock=OOC]On the trip to the fort, Aelish did indeed spend a great deal of time talking to his companions. He didn't turn up anyone who seemed to be suspicious or a trouble-maker. The merchants and their employees just seem to be honest folk looking to make a living. As for good allies...why, the other PCs of course! :) No one else present seems to be of the nobility, and as for churches...Percivilis and Jerivan make no secret about their devotion to Iomedae. Merchant guilds...not terribly important for the game itself, but if you want to create something to aid in role-playing your character, be my guest. Aelish has a general knowledge base about the history of the vale...how it was an important field of battle in old days between the empire of Cheliax and the barbarian tribes of the north. And, basic geography...in the near future I will post an updated map with some more info.

As for Captain Tolgrith, Aeilsh remembers him as a hale and rugged fighter, with years of experience as a seasoned campaigner. He is good natured and relatively friendly, but Aelish also remembers him as being very focused and driven.[/sblock]

YeOldeAlbatross

First Post
Boddynock said:
Shandul looks over the map which Aelish hands to him.

"Good map," he says, then hands it back.

When they arrive at the fort, he waits patiently while papers are checked. Then, once they've moved inside the walls, he stands looking around. His stance is relaxed - almost somnolent - but his eyes don't miss much.

When Aldur introduces himself, he takes his hand in a firm grip. When asked where the dwarf can get a drink, he gestures to the nearest well.

[sblock=OOC]No doubt Shandul knows where the tavern is - and he'd be happy to oblige. I just don't have a clue. :lol: [/sblock]

OOC: Everyone who's ever been to Fort Thorn knows that the place to go for a drink is The Boar's Bones (A6) of course! :lol:

FreeXenon

Shandul
Expecting a bit more from his interaction with Shandul, Aelish appears to want more information from the local that 'knows the Vale as well as anybody you'd want to meet'. The local that seems a little bit uncomfortable in the midst of civilization and who bears a raptor friend gives Aelish an idea.

[Sylvan] "
Surely, my friend, there is something that is missing from this map or could be added from your extensive knowledge of the area. ... and how well do you know the local druid?
" Aelish smiles disarmingly.

Guards
Aelish nods to the guard in thanks and says "Thank you sir." He turns his horse around as puts on his gloves and then turns to the rest of the group. "Friends we have an audience with the Captain. If you will follow me..." He nods to them to look for acknowledgment and then heads towards the keep.

Azgulor

Adventurer
Aldur studies Shandul for a moment before speaking, "Thanks, Obvious. Remind me to buy you a drink next time we're there."

Turning towards Aelish, he mutters, "Grandfather was right. You get what you pay for."

"Hey Aelish! Ask those soldiers where a dwarf can get a real drink around here!" he shouts as he crosses the distance between himself and the rider.

OOC: Sorry, that was too priceless an exchange to ignore! I'd forgotten that we didn't have all of Fort Throne key-ed out for us.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads