• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Consecrated Ground and game Balance

cheshire_grin

First Post
This zone is an exception to that rule, it has to be. Otherwise it will end the instant you use it's built in movment function.
Not necessarily; you could have it "orbit" around you, it just can't move away from you. Without explicit text overriding the "zone ends when out of range" rule, I think Dogreboy may have found the major limitation of the power.

Danceofmasks

First Post
Hmm.
It seems I've made an error here, too.

I'm not sure how close would count as range, though.
With an area burst, the origin square determines the range it's at .. but a close burst's origin square is the cleric!
So ... umm ... the cleric has to stay in the middle of it?

James McMurray

First Post
Not necessarily; you could have it "orbit" around you, it just can't move away from you. Without explicit text overriding the "zone ends when out of range" rule, I think Dogreboy may have found the major limitation of the power.

Then why make it move 3? 2 is plenty to get it anywhere within one square of you from anywhere else within one square. Either it's intended that you dance it around you for fun because there's no difference between any two paths from A to B, or it doesn't have a range limitation.

I think keterys has it right. It's not a ranged power, so it doesn't have a range limitation.

keterys

First Post
For ref, if you believe it has to be close burst 1 around the cleric, he can't even have it orbit around him. Unless by orbit you mean move precisely 0 squares but maybe wobble and shake while it does so ;)

He also can't move, not even to shift 1 square.

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
For ref, if you believe it has to be close burst 1 around the cleric, he can't even have it orbit around him. Unless by orbit you mean move precisely 0 squares but maybe wobble and shake while it does so ;)

He also can't move, not even to shift 1 square.

Or you can house rule it so that the zone moves with the cleric.

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

keterys

First Post
Or... you could just run it like it's presented in the rulebook. It creates a burst. You move the 'origin square' 3 squares as a move action. It's always in range because the origin square is always relevant to the close burst. You're all set.

willf

First Post
I played a cleric with this power.

So, your DM either accepts that 1x/day you can win against any encounter, or he starts coup de gracing downed PCs. Either option is not very fun.

It's worse than this. A smart cleric casts Consecrated Ground first thing on waking in the morning, and then uses a minor action every 6 seconds to sustain it. He or she never takes a short rest, so consecrated ground lasts the whole day. As a result, every encounter, not just 1 per day, is an auto win.

(Unless you come upon a very special monster. Since you'll be at full strength, you can probably handle this monster just fine, and then start over.)

Turtlejay

First Post
This is the most disgusting kind of metagaming. I never take the action known as "short rest" even though I may sit on my keester all day and do nothing.

In our game we had a disease that required an endurance check every short rest, and we had a player or two who always tried to keep busy while everyone took their rest. Searching bodies, moving around and exploring. Our DM let it slide as long as it made sense, but when everyone was just taking a breather, with nothing to do, he forced the issue. I was perfectly okay with that.

Also, this usage means that the player will *never* recharge his Encounter Powers, effectively turning every power he owns into a Daily power. He can do healing word 2x *day* instead of 2x an Encounter.

A lot is wrong with that approach.

Jay

keterys

First Post
There's a few things that last longer than 5 minutes, but most things are caught by the general rule. A cleric can only have their consecrated ground last 5 minutes.

Now, hanging onto temp hp or a couple magic item effects or powers that last until you rest? Yeah... bit more troubling those.

Remove ads