• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conspiracy advice

malcolypse

First Post
I'm gearing up to run a Delta Green game next year and I'm fishing for advice on running conspiracies. Not DG in particular, I'm not entirely sold on their setting as it exists. I mean how to hook the players beyond the stories I dangle in front of them. I want them to actually want to dig into what I won't give them, to explore beyond what was offered.

For that, I need the wisdom and experience collected in these hallowed forums.

So, what advice have you got for me, Enworlders?

mflayermonk

First Post
Do you mean you want the players to go to the library and check out a book and research what is written out there in the real world? For example, you want them to go and check out a book on the J. Kennedy assassination and then bring those topics up in game? They just show up the next session and say "we are going to Cuba".

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
The first thing about a conspiracy is:
Why would people cover something up?
  • Does it threaten their way of life?
  • Does it cost them money?
  • Does it generate fear?
  • Does it protect someone?
The second is who is doing the covering up?
  • How big is the cover up? Is it local, national, worldwide, personal?
  • How far are they going to go to protect the conspiracy?

The third what happens when the conspiracy is exposed?

Nagol

Unimportant
I've been running an X-Files style game for a few years now using the Conspiracy-X game system with a home-brewed setting.

Methods for getting players engaged in the world behind the curtain is in many ways dependent on players' nature and general type of system chosen. In my case, I've chosen a less Nar game engine and am running the campaign as an evolving sandbox. The techniques I'd employ in something like Fate would vary a fair bit, but the basic advice would be the same.

Stress to the players that this is an investigation/exploration game rather than a monster-of-the-week style that has similar trappings.

Some basic tips:
Begin as you mean to continue, just more obviously. The first scenario should have at least one and possibly a small number of things the players can dive beneath. Consequences for failing to dig should be blinding obvious in retrospect to the players, but not be especially annoying. Trigger points and chain reactions should be simple to work out from the end situation so the players can begin to correlate the potential engagement point with the result of engagement/non-engagement.

Keep the number of attack points reasonable and reasonably obvious that there is something odd to potentially engage with. In D&D, if every door could be a trap, the game bogs down as the group tries to mitigate the danger at every doorway. Similarly, if anything could be a clue, the game either bogs down as the group tries to investigate everything or the players give up trying. The very occasional red herring is OK, but I let the players introduce those themselves and don't include deliberately misleading information.

Be prepared for the players to miss opportunities you find glaringly obvious. Be prepared for players to assemble clues into shapes you wouldn't think possible.

Keep the number of factions and splinter groups reasonably small. The players have a small window for game information. For the same reason, keep motivations simple. Recurring characters/factions can develop nuance and depth over time as the players peel the onion.

Give the different factions common signatures – things the players can pick up on after several encounters so that they can prepare when they detect the same pattern next time.

Make certain that digging into the background offers material benefit. New ways to combat the darkness, circumstantial allies, additional resources, and/or enhanced survival techniques help inspire the effort. Discovering trivia for the sake of trivia can motivate some player types, but not all. Digging into some of the background should make the current situation easier to deal with.

Digging should be trap-free in general with the only cost being the time invested. If the side investigations are seen as inherently dangerous they will be dropped. If there is risk for digging deeper, make the stakes known to the player upfront as part of a pre-discovery discovery.

mythago

Hero
Keep in mind, also, that conspiracies are not well-oiled engines of evil. They're run by humans (okay, mostly by humans, this is Delta Green). People make mistakes, they have petty fights, they forget to change their passwords, they get overheard in public places, they play office politics.

Janx

Hero
Check out Monte Cook's book on conspiracy theories/people. Haven't read it myself, but he did a lot of research on the topic and that may give you some idea on how far out there stuff goes, and where to go looking. You don't need a book, checking online in the right places will lead you to tinfoil hat land.

I do suspect that you need to make your initial hook conspiracy sort of obvious. In the sense that the PCs stumble onto it and can realize this is a deeper thread they can tug on. Otherwise, if they are cops, and are investigating a basic crime, that's all they may see is a basic crime, and once solved, case closed.

Consider the lesson I learned in Accounting in college. One reason for making people take vacation is that it unravels their embezzlement scheme because normally, they are on top of intercepting every call/data request so they can hand out the correct lie. Once they go on vacation for a week, somebody calls for something, and Joe answers and starts poking around to answer a question, and notices something unusual...

That's the start of how a conspiracy gets revealed, is limit of human control is reached and an outsider sees the oddity and investigates.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads