Constables of the 14th Ward

Leif

Adventurer
Helfdan said:
OOC question: It may be a violation of Alarion's code to attack the ogre further while it is stunned. What do our DMs say?
OOC: I can't speak for our other DM, but I am almost positive that he would agree with me that the fact that the OGRE is 9 to 10 feet tall and weighs 600-650 pounds puts Alarion at more than enough of a relative physical disadvantage that such a seemingly "dirty" attack would, nevertheless, still be sanctioned by Marquis of Queensbury rules. And, really, you have to consider how the ogre became stunned in the first place: Your martial training dictates that when you achieve an advantage in combat (by whatever means are available to you), then you press that advantage to the utmost, so that the combat can be brought to the swiftest possible end.

In fact, I would argue that your Code does not even apply at all to an ogre, with the possible exception of the rare civilized ogre. (Hey, it could happen. Maybe.) Your Code is more concerned with combats between equally matched, civilized antagonists, and pulling out chairs for ladies, and that sort of thing. Isn't it?

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Helfdan said:
Alarion of Tovarre

[sblock=OOC]
Thanks, Leif
[/sblock]
[sblock=Alarion]Well, I checked ph2, and I've got bad news. See next post.

BTW, any word on what happened to our Eloy? I hope everything is ok with him.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Alarion of Tovarre

[sblock=Alarion]Bad News Alarion: PH2 specifically says that "A knight never strikes a flat-footed opponent. Instead, you allow your foe to ready himself before attacking." (phII, p. 27) A Stunned opponent is very much flat-footed, and even worse than that, isn't he? Don't worry about it for this attack, since I told you wrong, but from now on, I guess you'll have to forego the easy shots. BTW, how many uses of your Knight's Challenge ability do you get each day? And, more importantly, how many do you have left for today?[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Moru Sen, human conjurer

As a monstrous centipede pops into existence and snaps its maw at the giant, Moru quietly retreats a way before digging in his bag to see if he can feel his healing potion vials.

[sblock=OOC]Centipede attack 20, damage 9 If it hit, there's a DC 14 Fort save vs. poison the giant has to make.

As before Centipede stat block for ease of reference:

AC 16, Damage Reduction 5/magic, HP 45, Bite +7 (2d6+6 + poison (Fort save DC14 or -1d6 Dex)). (HP and attack modified to take into account Moru's Augment Summoning Feat)[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Initiative Order:
Wally 17
Jonas and Bruno 14
Thea 11
Darius 11
Raul 8
Stone Giant 8
Moru 7
Centipede 7
Rahvin 5
Alarion 5
Ogres 5
Soulfetter 4

Wally continues his stealty approach. He manages to slip up on the giant and manages to land a vicious sneak attack on the big foe's leg.

Jonas gasps from the forces of the boulder. Jonas tries again, firing two arrows at the great beast, occupying him long enough hopefully for his comrades to finish the ogres.

With the first ogre temporarily handled, Thea knew that Alarion would finish the beast off. She started moving towards the rest of the fight.

Darius finds an opening, but whiffs again. Nonplussed, he stares at his sword as he dodges back from the ogre's counterstrike. "what the hell is wrong with you?" He taps the tip of his sword experimentally against the floor to verify that it is indeed solid, then steps back into combat.

Frustrated by his failures to hit, Raul refocuses his attention on the inside of the Ogre's knee, but he finds that he still cannot hit the Ogre.

The giant drops the stone he was about to throw and takes a backhanded swing at Wally that just passes over the Half-Orc's head. Realizing that he and his friends are in trouble the Giant picks up a massive club in both hands.

As a monstrous centipede pops into existence and snaps its maw at the giant without hitting, Moru quietly retreats a way before digging in his bag to see if he can feel his healing potion vials. [sblock=Moru]You can give the Centipede a flanking bonus, at least until the giant flattens Wally with that big stick. :lol: [/sblock]

Rahvin, seeing the Giant distracted, charges in and manages to wound him as well.

Alarion presses the advantage, stabbing once more at the ogre. I must bring this one down fast, he thinks. The Knight easily finishes off the Ogre, though with some remose that at killing a helpless foe.

The remaining Ogre takes a failed shot at Darius.

SoulFetter steadies himself after he overshoots on his first attack, and brings the massive axe around in a backswing that ends abruptly when the blade of his axe impacts the ogre's side.

Only the Giant remains to face the Constables, but he seems a terrible foe.

OOC: Actions for the new round?

Attachments

• giant_cavern.xls
    17.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
SoulFetter

As the Ogre falls dead to the ground, SoulFetter leaps over its body and runs at the fearsome giant. The savage barbarian hurtles screaming toward the giant, his flame wreathed body growing taller and more massive. By the time he closes, the huge axe in his hands appears normally proportioned as he swings it 'round in an arc. The blade bites deeply into the giants thigh, leaving a nasty gash.

[sblock=Combat Rolls]TH: 1d20+12=18, Damage: 3d6+8=17

Wasn't sure if 18 hit, so I wrote as though it did. Feel free to correct me and I'll edit the post if necessary.

Also, I'll leave it to you to describe results of Giant's AoO (don't forget damage from Halo of Fire if he hits).[/sblock]

Remove ads