• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Construct (or warforged) livestock

Warehouse23

First Post
Has anyone given any thought to what happens when your party rides off on horseback in a race to defeat the BBEG to his nefarious goals...and one of your party is a warforged? Looking at the warforged racial weights, it seems like a 'forged with any kind of gear on him/with him would begin to place a strain on any kind of horse available. Are there rules for building warforged horses or construct horses? What kinds of loads could they haul? Truth be told, this is all part of my master plan to create a warforged paladin, but I wanted to get the question out more generally.

smootrk

First Post
A draft horse or heavy warhorse should be able to support the Warforge Character. If you have ever been right next to the Budweiser Draft Horse Team, you would have no doubt of their ability to bear the weight.

cmanos

First Post
don't have the Warforged racial weights in front of me, but I would think a heavy warhorse or drafthorse would be fine with it.

If not, make a skysled for him.

Well, if you're playing with Warforged, you're probably playing in Eberron.

Consider getting yourself a Magebred heavy warhorse - a strong version. Also, consider asking your DM to roll the ability scores for various horses, or use the elite stat array.

Doing so can get you horses which are stronger than normal, though you'll probably need to find yourself a horse trainer / trader (ranks in Appraise and Handle Animal) to determine which horses are the best.

Alternatively, there's a "half-construct" template floating around somewhere.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I've always just had warforged travel on foot, because they don't get tired. Horses have limited endurance, and must stop every so often for rest and food. Why bother riding one of those fragile meatbags if you yourself can sprint forever without a break?

Bront

The man with the probe
Given they don't need to wear armor, they're not that much heavier than the heaviest human in plate mail. So it's not that bad. Heavy Warhorses are fairly strong anyway.

Stock Heavy War Horse can carry 200 and be lightly encumbered, and 400 with medium encumberance. Heavy or heavily armored humans easily surpass 200, and a huge warforged carrying a ton of gear is still likely less than 400.

Edit: Apparently they broke their own carrying rules. It's 300 and 600, which means a light warforged with little equipment won't encumber a heavy warhorse.

Warehouse23

First Post
Thanks, all! I'm just excited about the RP potential for a half-mechanical man on a half-mechanical horse, trying to survive in a living (and undead) beings' world. Might make for an interesting campaign. besides, who else would ever get to say "Hold on, I need to fix my horse," and not have the horse be upset.

Remove ads