• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Constructing a Mystery (Ptolus, The Banewarrens, and Assasin's Guilds)

Mazlo

First Post
Every campaign I run I like to put a little something special for my players' characters... I suppose its in exchange for making them work hard on their characters' roleplaying concepts. I've got everything nailed down except for one character.

On the party: We're not to Ptolus yet... Running a few "warm up" adventures in a small village about a week away. The party is originally from an island province [of my own creation] of the empire north of Ptolus, that was recently put under martial law after the General and his troops overthrew the empire's council there. Hence the party fled to Ptolus but got side tracked by a storm and a shipwreck. None of them have been to Ptolus as of yet.

The Character: Brett Alexander, LE Rogue 5/Assasin 1: Son of a cobbler, master of disguise. He is a member of the "old assasin's order" (something the player and I created) that has a longstanding guildwar with the Vai, based loosely off the Assamites of VtMQ (Which I've never played but the player has).

In my version of Ptolus, the old assasins are lawful - organized into separate cells. They will only kill nobles with good reason (anyone else if fair game) and will only attempt to kill someone once (if the person succesfully defends themselves, they are no longer subject to assasination by the old order).

The Vai are more chaotic and shady, even for an assasin's guild, having regular power struggles within the guild and making people who pay for their services also pay "silence insurance." (Other people can pay the same price the 'hirer' paid to learn who the 'hirer' is once a job is done, the 'hirer' pays 'silence insurance,' which must be matched by anyone who wants the information before the Vai will tell)

Tie In: Right now, the player has a letter from his former mentor to a new contact in a new cell, in a shop.

But the new contact is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

During the day, he runs a seemingly legitimate herbalist's shop which secretly sells poisons on the side. House Vladaam is leaning heavily on him with a few goons, desiring to control the poison market. The new contact could easily kill the goons but doesn't wish to draw even more of Vladaam's ire. He asks Brett to convince Vladaam to leave him alone. But Vladaam will by now know that Brett and his friends are investigating the Banewarrens. One possible condition is for Brett and his friends to stay out of the Banewarrens. Or possibly force Brett and his friends to do some "dirty work" of the Vladaam's. What dirty work?

Meanwhile, at night, the new contact is a cell leader of the old assasin's guild. But the new contact is a traitor to the old order, he has secretly joined with the Vai. But he did not know Brett was coming and now plans to use Brett to help him murder the old order assasins in his cell. Over time, the clues pile up incriminating the new contact. What clues?

--Mazlo

Remove ads