• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Constructs as PCs

BSF

Explorer
So I am looking for comparisons between different products that would allow some sort of construct as a PC. I recognize that the Warforged will likely be the most familiar to everybody due to the fact that it is in Eberron. But the warforged is not the only option out there. Anybody willing to share thoughts with me?

Right now I am aware of the following:
Warforged from Eberron (WotC)
Ironborn from the Book of Iron Might (Malhavoc)
Construct Mechanus (Ronin Arts)

Which approach do you like best? Why? How easy would it be to cross-pollinate products?

Quite honestly, I am not as interested in the Warforged because I don't have a lot of interest in Eberron. As a result, I don't have any of the Eberron books. But that is not to say I can't be persuaded.

Nyaricus

First Post
My 2 cents from this comment:

BSF said:
Quite honestly, I am not as interested in the Warforged because I don't have a lot of interest in Eberron.
Warforged, other than flavour text, can be ripped out from the ECS book and used in any campaign. That goes with any race in any book (and also any PrC, class, feat, spell et al).

cheers,
--N

BSF

Explorer
While that is quite true, there are plenty of other products I would rather spend money on. Sure, if I saw ECS at a dirt cheap price, and I didn't have something else I wanted to get at that moment, I would probably pick it up. But there are so many other products out there that I want, it is unlikely I would buy ECS unless I specifically want something out of it.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I prefer the Iron born because they are closer to what I see a magical version of cyborgs are like. Humaniod creatures with a soft fleshy center and mechanical parts. They aren't build so much as born and usually for a specific purpose that can be something other than fighting.

paradox42

First Post
If you can find Dragonstar, by Fantasy Flight Games, that has a race of PC constructs called Soulmechs in it. While people accuse Warforged of being D&D robots, Soulmechs are explicitly stated to be robots (Dragonstar is a magitech universe featuring an insterstellar empire run by dragons), and they came at least a year before Warforged did. Unfortunately the Dragonstar line has been OOP for a while, I believe.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*forgot about those* MM III is decent but it certainly not as good as previous MM editions OR other monster suppliments (like Tome of Horror series). However MMIV wasn't that stellar so...take your pick.

DMH

First Post
Golemcraft from Dog Soul, a pdf, has rules on creating constructs. There is a template in the back about adding intelligence (with a time limit that can be removed).

The Deluxe Book of Templates (released by Goodman in print form) has the automoton template that converts any creature into a construct (has many different materials).

Advanced Bestiary from Green Ronin has the lifespark template.

And don't forget the maug. Poor things have been forgotten ever since the warforged appeared.

Remove ads