• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Contingency Questions

AEtherfyre

First Post
Two questions relating to the Contingency spell:

1. If one mage "A" has a contingency up to teleport away if he is attacked, and mage "B" proceeds to cast Timestop followed by an attack spell, does the Teleport go off before or after the attack?

2. If two mages are standing near each other, and both have contingencies that trigger on the same event, which goes off first? What happens if one of the contingencies puts up an Antimagic Field?

Thank you for any answers you can provide.

Jay Lofstead

First Post
1) Based on the description of Timestop, the contingency would take effect since you cannot actually have an attack spell take effect until after the duration of the timestop.

2) I'd rule they happen simultaneously (allowing the teleport or whatever take effect). If the contingency effect is not instantaneous (really if it requires anything that takes up any time no matter how small e.g., the time for a fireball bead to reach the target), it would be blocked by the antimagic shell.

That is at least how I would rule.

Kaji

First Post
I'm with Jay. The effect is not an action per se, it is pre-programmed, so it's not like you sould ask the 2 mages to make dexterity checks or anything, it should just happen.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads