• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conversion pointers

Saber6

First Post
Just picked up 4e and I have a lot of materials going back to Ad&D (1e), mostly 3.5. Does anyone have a checklist/short essay of tips and things to consider?

I know that the story need not change, but some of the encounters will.

Any help/links/comiseration accepted

Mike

BobTheNob

First Post
Just picked up 4e and I have a lot of materials going back to Ad&D (1e), mostly 3.5. Does anyone have a checklist/short essay of tips and things to consider?

I know that the story need not change, but some of the encounters will.

Any help/links/comiseration accepted

Mike
Ah, the good old "Im going from 3.5 to 4e" question.

BIG tip : Dont try to make 4e behave like 3.5. At the end of the day they only have passing resemblances. The first thing I did when picking up 4e was "This is all wrong" and started typing the errata for the campaign I was going to run.

I ended up having to throw all of that out as the changes I made were against the flavor of 4e. It is a very different beast.

a) During combat, positioning is a vital dynamic. Do not attempt ot play 4e if you are not going to take this seriously. Find some software, get a map, buy the tilesets & minatures, whatever. Just do it!
b) Skill challenges change alot.
c) Characters now fall into "roles" (world of warcraft cough!). Its a good thing. For once I have a character that takes pride in his ability to lock down an opponent rather than just his ability to do damage. I have a healer that likes healing!
d) Further to point c) Get to know the roles and encourage your players to select a well composed party, as opposed to a ego fest where everyone tries to put together the best damage dealer and you end up with a party of strikers (trust me, no-one will enjoy that).
e) Equipment is important. Pre 4e gear was "icing on the cake", now, you need gear just to keep up. Ensure that you look into the loot section in the DM's guide, I have been following it to a T and the party gear levels feel just right.

I could go on...

Saber6

First Post
thanks. I was wondering if there were "formulae" etc, but reading more it looks like I can "foreward engineer" encounters based on EL from 3.5

Still wrapping my head around 4 level Orc Minions...

Remove ads