• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Converting AD&D 2nd Ed to D&D v3.5 - help me?

Wraith Form

Explorer
I'd like to convert an AD&D 2nd ed adventure over to 3.5. Is there a fairly straight 1:1 conversion that I can do with NPCs? For example, is a 5th level fighter in AD&D 2nd ed the same as a 5th level fighter in 3.5 regarding the CR or HD of the encounter? Or are the NPCs generated by 3.5 a little more (or less) powerful than the ones created in AD&D?

Will an AD&D adventure made for approx. 2nd level PCs be a challenge, be too easy, or be just right when converted for a D&D 3.5 2nd level party?

Any advice or discussion will be helpful, and thank you.

thosfsull

First Post
This is just a guess, but there should be a 2nd to 3rd edition file notes someplace, then a 3rd to 3.5 also for conversion.

HD/Lvls stay the same I would assume. It is the feats, spells, special abilities which would change the dynamics of any encounter really.

There is a remote possibility that someone might have written up conversion notes if it was an established module from back then for today.

Wraith Form

Explorer
1) Yes, I have the 2nd ed -> 3rd ed conversion PDF. It's useful, but not clear about how close a ratio the power levels are.

2) The adventure is Horror's Harvest from Dungeon #38. I especially need the stat conversions for the Doppelganger Plant.

Beowolf

Explorer
Woah, your gonna need a lot more help, there is no exact guide to converting everything. Unique monsters or other weird things dont translate so well, just check around here we have a forum area dedicated to doing conversions of old monsters and stuff. it aint so simple to accuratly recreate the monster in 3.5 but it can be done, i would suggest either posting the stats here and asking for people to give you some input or go and look around the already converted monsters and see if some of what you will need is there and if not look for a post that is activly taking requests for monsters to be converted and post the stats there.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
The guidelines in the back of the Monster Manual are useful for translating creatures. It will give you an idea of what the base for the creature is. If it has more HD than a creature of its size should have, then just use the rules to "level it up."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads