Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
As an aside, wasps are my least favorite creature on Earth. Their mere presence gives me feelings of revulsion. I cannot begin to suspend my disbelief enough to believe such a vile, horrid abomination could be good-aligned. :eek:

That said, carry on. :p

Its the way they're neutral good and reproduce by having their larvae eat paralyzed creatures alive that strikes me as a bit odd.

Well they only tortuously devour dumb animals and Evil creatures, so I guess it's alright in the eyes of the D&D deities.

Cleon

Legend
Medium magical beast. Spider eaters strike me as a good comparison point for physical abilities (Str 21, Dex 13, Con 21, +4 natural armor). Perhaps go to Str 17, Dex 18, Con 21, Int 5, Wis 12, Cha 10? And +4 natural?

That looks OK.

Although we may want to consider increasing the size to Large. If they're a 6-long version of the 10-foot long, 4000 pounds Spider Eater they would weigh 850 pounds or so, well into Large-size territory. Plus the Mason Wasp has more HD than both the Spider Eater and the Large-sized Giant Wasp.

Their attacks, SA & SQs look pretty straightforward, apart from the effect of their poison:

Bite (1d8+3 plus fire 1d6) and Sting (1d4+1 plus poison)?

Fire Breath - 6d6 fire in 20 foot cone?

Immunity to Fire (there's no mention of any weakness to cold, so I'd not give them the Fire subtype)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
This looks pretty good to me. Now for the poison: keep the poison like Shade has it, switch to Con damage or drain, or change to a disease with paralysis?

Cleon

Legend
That would work for me. Similar enough to the spider eater.

Fine by me.

The original can knock its victims out for between 1-3 days (1 failed save) and a week (2 failed saves, but followed by death). So, say 1d6 Dex damage for the primary effects and 1d3 days paralysis for the secondary effects of its poison, but the paralysis duration is cumulative?

So, what else have we got.

Three feats: A spider eater's Alertness and Dodge, plus Flyby Attack?

9 Skill points: A spider eater has 3 ranks in Listen and 4 in Spot, with a +4 racial bonus. - 4 ranks in Listen and 5 in Spot, with a +4 racial bonus?

Challenge Rating - they look like a Challenge Rating 5 or so to me, but so is a spider eater, and they're significantly nastier in a fight than a spider eater. CR 6?

Advancement - A spider eater reaches Huge at 5 HD, a giant wasp reaches Huge as 9 HD. Mason Wasps are smaller, so the standard triple HD advancement will probably do - 7-12 HD (Large); 13-18 HD (Huge)?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We need to get agreement on breath weapon damage. Either 5d6 or 6d6 is ok by me.

Flyby Attack sounds right for the last feat based on the strategy given.

Agreed to skills.

CR 6 is fine.

Advancement looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads