D&D 4E Converting Builder (*.dnd4e) files into other formats.

Kurtomatic

First Post
Ideally, WotC could provide flexible template formatting in the CB and still protect their content, but they appear to have their development resources working on other priorities. Short of that, OCR is the measure of last resort.

Unfortunately WotC has been handing Cease & Desist letters to anyone that releases code that works with DDI lately.
Just curious, have any application projects besides Masterplan received a C&D? That and last year's Power Card website takedown are the only ones I am aware of.

twilsemail

First Post
I can't remember where the thread was, but I know someone in WotC took to heart the requests for a different sheet format and passed them on to the CB team. He seemed enthusiatic about his chances.

I think this may have been over on rpg.net now that I think about it.

The thread was mostly just people requesting sheets closer to the game day pregen sheets.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Simply put, I want to format them to resemble something like the Game Day cards OR the LFR pregens. I started trying to do it myself, but the problem is that the Character Builder doesn't let you cut and paste textual content, so I have to hand type every power, and let me tell you, it gets old fast.
I realize that your question is about taking the info and putting it into some other format, but I have an idea using only the CB.

Print only a very modified first page and the card pages. By very modified, I mean keep HP tracking, feats, class features, senses, and race features. The cards take care of the rest. The first two cards, have the PCs ability scores and their powers, in a fairly easy to read format. Depending on the level of the PC, you could possibly keep everything to one page front and back.

Thanlis

Explorer
As for iplay4e, the problem is I'm running a gladiator tournament. With 20 people.
This means, that it will be impractical if we don't all have wireless devices. AND DDi subscriptions.

I get that. In your initial post, you had said "the problem is that the Character Builder doesn't let you cut and paste textual content." I was offering a way to cut and paste text, not a complete solution to your problem. Sorry if I was unclear!

Nytmare

David Jose
Well, the .dnd4e file is nothing but a text file with XML in it. XML is usually transformed via XSL into other markup such as HTML.

This is true, but the xml changed the first 4 or 5 times I tried to decipher it as the base for my character sheets, so I gave up. Especially since the power descriptions are saved in the program, and not in the xml.

Does it also allow the rules text of the powers to be visible, or will I have to hand-type that stuff myself?

You do have to type them in, but you only have to do it once. You copy the summary from the character builder, push a button, and the program makes a database for that one character. Then, you push a second button and it goes through that database, moving all the bits and pieces over to your character sheet. Whenever it hits a power or ability it's never seen before, it opens up a window and asks you to put in the description, which it then adds to a secondary database.

In all honesty learning how to chop my program up, reprogramming it to do what you need, and then using it to make 20 characters is probably two steps of complication beyond what you need.

Ideally, WotC could provide flexible template formatting in the CB and still protect their content, but they appear to have their development resources working on other priorities. Short of that, OCR is the measure of last resort.

Just curious, have any application projects besides Masterplan received a C&D? That and last year's Power Card website takedown are the only ones I am aware of.

Exactly, the "magic" that the OP needs is programmatic access to data which is in the Compendium, which is exactly what people have been slapped down by WotC for. Realistically the chances are if someone writes a perl script that does it and hands out a few copies here and there to friends its not going to be a big deal. OTOH I have little motive to perfect it and even less motive to put it up somewhere public where everyone can access it and become a target for the next C&D. Its just a waste of my time to write something like that. As it is what I've got is acceptable for my personal use since I don't mind obscure command line incantations or occasionally hacking some of the code. I just don't think it would benefit the OP much.

The thing that bothers me about all this is just that WotC has really vacillated a lot on this issue. A while back they were inviting people to integrate tools with the Compendium, yet when people actually DID that they got slapped down. If they want this to actually be an option they need to clarify what the rules of the road are, or they need to institute some technical measures to make sure you can only do what they're comfortable with letting you do. As it stands now they are saying one thing and doing another. Nothing drives developers away faster than that kind of uncertainty.

CovertOps

First Post
About the PDF printer option. I think the OP missed the fact that once you "print" the character from CB into the PDF you can now edit the PDF to be formatted as you like with all the text already there for cut/paste. You just need a PDF editor.

Remove ads