• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Right, I didn't put in the hoopak vulnerability because we didn't have the wood weapon bit or hoopak description yet.

This looks pretty good, but there's always a "but." I think the hoopak vulnerability is only to the particular kender vamp's own hoopak. Here's the quote: "Kender vampires are not as hard to destroy as many other types of undead, for they are greatly vulnerable to their own hoopaks. Any vampire hunter who is able to snatch a vampire’s hoopak from him and then turn that weapon against its owner will find that it inflicts full damage and has no chance of being destroyed like other wooden weapons."

I also don't see anything about sunight or running water or staking.

Cleon

Legend
Right, I didn't put in the hoopak vulnerability because we didn't have the wood weapon bit or hoopak description yet.

This looks pretty good, but there's always a "but." I think the hoopak vulnerability is only to the particular kender vamp's own hoopak. Here's the quote: "Kender vampires are not as hard to destroy as many other types of undead, for they are greatly vulnerable to their own hoopaks. Any vampire hunter who is able to snatch a vampire’s hoopak from him and then turn that weapon against its owner will find that it inflicts full damage and has no chance of being destroyed like other wooden weapons."

Yes, I realized I was generalizing the vulnerability to apply to all hoopaks, not just that particular vampire's hoopak. I was wondering about rewriting it.

I also don't see anything about sunight or running water or staking.

That's cause it doesn't say such. However, I thought it a good idea to include "General Vampire Weaknesses" since the text says they are easier to destroy than most undead, which could mean they've got more vulnerabilities than regular vampires.

Which reminds me, I forgot to note that they can be permanently killed while in Poltergeist form.

Cleon

Legend
Revised version...

Fast Healing (Ex): A kender vampire heals 2 points of damage each round so long as it has at least 1 hit point. Its fast healing does not heal damage from shimmerweed or the kender vampire's own hoopak (see Kender Vampire Weaknesses, below). If reduced to 0 hit points in combat, a kender vampire automatically assumes poltergeist form and attempts to escape. It must reach its coffin home within 2 hours or become permanently trapped in poltergeist form. (It can travel up to nine miles in 2 hours.) Once at rest in its coffin, it is helpless. It regains 1 hit point after 1 hour, then is no longer helpless and resumes healing at the rate of 2 hit points per round.

Destroy Wooden Weapons (Su): Any wooden weapon (except for a kender vampire's hoopak) that strikes a kender vampire must succeed at a DC X Fortitude save or take Y points of damage. If this damage destroys the weapon it instantly rots away, and the kender vampire takes no damage from the attack. A kender vampire can also destroy wooden objects by touching them as a standard action (a +Z melee touch attack). The save DC is Charisma-based.

Poltergeist Form (Ex): As a standard action, a kender vampire can transfer itself between the Ethereal Plane and the Material Plane. As an ethereal creature, it cannot affect or be affected by anything in the material world. When a kender vampire is on the Ethereal Plane, any spells is casts cannot affect targets on the Material Plane, but they work normally against ethereal targets. If the kender vampire does not return to the Material Plane within 2 hours it becomes permanently trapped in the Ethereal Plane. A kender vampire that is reduced to 0 hit points while in poltergeist form is permanently destroyed.

Kender Vampire Weaknesses
Kender vampire have a number of weaknesses.

Repelling a Kender Vampire
Kender vampires cannot abide shimmerweed and recoil from even a fragment of a dead shimmerweed plant. Similarly, they recoil from a mirror or a strongly presented holy symbol. These things don't harm the vampire—they merely keep it at bay. A recoiling kender vampire must stay at least 5 feet away from a creature holding the shimmerweed, mirror or holy symbol and cannot touch or make melee attacks against the creature holding the item for the rest of the encounter. Holding a vampire at bay takes a standard action.

Hoopak Vulnerability
Kender vampires are always armed with a hoopak. A kender vampire's damage reduction, fast healing and destroy wood special abilities are ineffective against a kender vampire's hoopak (they work normally against other hoopaks). If a kender vampire receives a confirmed critical hit from a kender vampire's hoopak, it must succeed at a DC 15 Fortitude save or the hoopak pierces the vampire's heart, destroying the kender vampire. Removing the hoopak does not restore the kender vampire to life (unlike a wooden stake).

Slaying a Kender Vampire
Reducing a kender vampire's hit points to 0 or lower incapacitates it but doesn't always destroy it (see the note on fast healing and poltergeist form). However, certain attacks can slay vampires. Exposing any vampire to direct sunlight disorients it: It can take only a single move action or attack action and is destroyed utterly in the next round if it cannot escape. Similarly, immersing a vampire in running water robs it of one-third of its hit points each round until it is destroyed at the end of the third round of immersion. Driving a wooden stake through a vampire's heart instantly slays the monster. However, it returns to life if the stake is removed, unless the body is destroyed. A popular tactic is to cut off the creature’s head and fill its mouth with holy wafers (or their equivalent).

Kender vampires are vulnerable to damage from shimmerweed plants and hoopaks (see above). The prismatic display of a shimmerweed plant in moonlight does 1d4 hp damage per round to any kender vampire within 60 ft. Damage from moonlit shimmerweed and hoopaks cannot be healed by a kender vampire's fast healing, and will destroy the vampire if it is reduced to 0 hit points.

The foul magics that create kender vampires bind their existence to a domain. This domain is a territory at least 10 miles across, but it can be as large as a country. Any attempt to leave the borders of its domain (willing or unwilling) instantly destroys a kender vampire, its body crumbling to dust within seconds. Even approaching the border is painful to these vampires, who rarely come within a mile of the border.

freyar

I think the "easier to slay than most undead" just means the specific vulnerabilities they mention. In fact, it seems to mean the hoopak vulnerability specifically. I really don't like the regular vamp weaknesses for them.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think the "easier to slay than most undead" just means the specific vulnerabilities they mention. In fact, it seems to mean the hoopak vulnerability specifically. I really don't like the regular vamp weaknesses for them.

Same here.

freyar

Then we have

Repelling a Kender Vampire: Kender vampires cannot abide shimmerweed and recoil from even a fragment of a dead shimmerweed plant. A recoiling kender vampire must stay at least 5 feet away from a creature holding the shimmerweed and cannot touch or make melee attacks against the creature holding the item for the rest of the encounter. Holding a kender vampire at bay takes a standard action.

Slaying a Kender Vampire: Reducing a kender vampire's hit points to 0 or lower incapacitates it but doesn't always destroy it (see the note on fast healing and poltergeist form).

The prismatic display of a shimmerweed plant in moonlight does 1d4 hp damage per round to any kender vampire within 60 ft. This damage cannot be healed by the vampire's fast healing.

Kender vampires are always armed with a hoopak. A kender vampire's damage reduction, fast healing and destroy wood special abilities are ineffective against a kender vampire's hoopak (they work normally against other hoopaks). If a kender vampire receives a confirmed critical hit from a kender vampire's hoopak, it must succeed at a DC 15 Fortitude save or the hoopak pierces the vampire's heart, destroying the kender vampire. Removing the hoopak does not restore the kender vampire to unlife.

The foul magics that create kender vampires bind their existence to a domain. This domain is a territory at least 10 miles across, but it can be as large as a country. Any attempt to leave the borders of its domain (willing or unwilling) instantly destroys a kender vampire, its body crumbling to dust within seconds. Even approaching the border is painful to these vampires, who rarely come within a mile of the border.

Cleon

Legend
I like it.

I can go along with cutting out most of the regular vampire weaknesses, but will insist we keep the repulsion of holy symbols, since:

Creatures of Dread said:
Holy symbols pressed against their skin inflict a like amount of damage and cause the creature such pain that it must make a morale check or flee from the battle at once if possible.

Remove ads