• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Death attack into 2-3 feats

Beholder Bob

First Post
I would like to make Death attack a feat at the end of a chain of 3 feats.

Death Attack
If an assassin studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a sneak attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly either paralyzing or killing the target (assassin’s choice). While studying the victim, the assassin can undertake other actions so long as his attention stays focused on the target and the target does not detect the assassin or recognize the assassin as an enemy. If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the assassin’s class level + the assassin’s Int modifier) against the kill effect, she dies. If the saving throw fails against the paralysis effect, the victim is rendered helpless and unable to act for 1d6 rounds plus 1 round per level of the assassin. If the victim’s saving throw succeeds, the attack is just a normal sneak attack. Once the assassin has completed the 3 rounds of study, he must make the death attack within the next 3 rounds.

If a death attack is attempted and fails (the victim makes her save) or if the assassin does not launch the attack within 3 rounds of completing the study, 3 new rounds of study are required before he can attempt another death attack.

While I'm on the subject, what about Hide in Plain Sight

Hide in Plain Sight (Su)
A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot, however, hide in her own shadow.

B:]B

Last edited:

Beholder Bob

First Post
help if I explain my goals...

I'd like a wizard or sorcerer who specializes in shadow/illusion magic and has the skills sunk into being stealthy, to be able to blend into the dark.

I want to be able to make a NPC who assassinates w/out spell casting.

I like the idea of a slayer who, standing before his target, studies him 3 rounds, quick draws his blade, and then disembowels him with a rapid strike. Not a true assassin - he's not nearly as good as an assassin for sneaking up/hiding - but this warrior cuts down his surprised foes like wheat to a scythe.

As feats are far and few between, if it takes 3 feats to acquire death attack, assuming you can not begin on this chain of feats until 3rd, you'll be 9th level before you reach it - that is a lot of dedication! If it fits the character concept, I'd like to see them take the feats, rather then take a prestige class to gain an ability that fits but the prestige class does not.

I'm making prestige classes extremely difficult to acquire - this is to offset that difficulty.

Beholder Bob

First Post
Ok - my 1st stab at it!

Deadly Precision
Pre-Req: combined total of 5 (base attack + sneak attack dice, sneak attack 0d6 is ok).

Study foe for 3 rounds, then receive a single attack vs a flanked foe (or one who has no DEX AC mod vs you). If you hit, foe gets Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/4 LV + INT mod) or is limited to partial actions for 1 R/4 LV. After an attempt, or failure to attempt it within 3 rounds of studing the target - you must re-study the foe to attempt this manuever again.
This ability has no effect Vs creatures immune to critical hits, only 1 creature may be studied at a time, and may only be used for melee attacks.

Deadly Precision, Greater
Pre-Req: Deadly Precision and combined total of 8

As per Deadly Precision, but instead of reducing a foe to limited actions, you instead reduce him to 1/2 his current HP total.

Death Attack
Pre-Req: Deadly Precision, Greater, and combined total of 12

As per the assassin's death attack ability, except the save DC is (DC 10 + 1/4 LV + INT mod)

Last edited:

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Death Attack is a feat in my game, it's only prerequisite is BAB +4 (not all assassins are rogues). Hide in plain sight I just made a rogue special ability.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Personally, I hate the Death Attack mechanics. Here's my first stab at a replacement Feat chain:

Chakra Strike [General]
Prerequisite: Stunning Attack, Heal 6 ranks
Benefit: When you succeed on a Stunning Attack, your foe is paralyzed for one round instead of stunned.

Two Chakra Strike [General]
Prerequisite: Chakra Strike, Stunning Attack, Heal 9 ranks
Benefit: When you paralyze a foe with a Stunning Attack, the paralysis lasts two rounds instead of one.

Why is this perfect for an Assassin? C-d-G, mon ami. ;)

Now, for the Shadow dude, what's his current build? (Classes, Feats and skill ranks.) I can think of some cool Shadow-y things that are more magical in nature than HiPS.

-- N

Beholder Bob

First Post
I'm aiming at duplicating the existing abilities from the prestige classes as feats - though I like the Chakra Strike - very nasty!

As to a specific build - these are not for my characters! The game I'm running, I've decided to eliminate prestige classes, replacing them with prestige feats. In addition to the normal pre-req for feats, you also have to have the correct affiliation to learn these. I do not want to limit them by class, though the abilities will require some class oriented abilities to make them 'gel', flavor wise. Thus the high base attack/sneak attack I suggested for the death attack - someone with that sort of ability should be trained for striking prone areas OR just a kick ass warrior with exceptional abilities (a high base attack). The hide in plain sight should probably combine sneakiness (hide/mv silent) with spell abilities focused on shadow magic. In my game, shadow magic is a separate school, but for generic reference, illusion focus should do fine for most folks. Flavor wise, the perform dance is interesting - but I'm not sure I want to lock the feat to dancing - perhaps knowledge of planes & perform total of X ranks? Hmmm.

I'm also looking to make/find feats to create a prestige-feat(s) for the dark warrior from the book of vile darkness.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Beholder Bob said:
I'm aiming at duplicating the existing abilities from the prestige classes as feats - though I like the Chakra Strike - very nasty!

I hate the Death Attack mechanics far too much to re-implement them... but it's a level one ability, pre-reqs don't seem like they'd be too harsh.

As to HiPS, consider the following...

Wonderous Performer [General]
Prereqs: Skill Focus (any Perform), ability to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability from the Illusion school
Benefits: Once per day per two levels, you may augment a Perform check with illusiory props, lighting effects, shadowy companions, etc. This does not consume a spell or a use of a spell-like ability. You gain one of the following benefits:
- You may make a mundane performance, re-rolling the result and taking the greater of the two rolls.
- Concealment (shadowy or bright) for the duration of your performance.
- +4 Circumstance bonus to one Intimidate check.
- The effects of a light spell for the duration of your performance.

Nice for Gnomes and Bards.

Shadowed [General]
Prereqs: Stealthy or Skill Focus (Hide), the ability to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability from the Evocation school
Benefits: Once per day per level, as a Swift action, you may grant yourself shadowy Concealment for one round. This is a Supernatural Evocation effect with the [Darkness] and descriptor.

Nice for Gnomes and Drow.

Beholder Bob said:
I'm also looking to make/find feats to create a prestige-feat(s) for the dark warrior from the book of vile darkness.

Do you mean the Warrior of Darkness? Consider an alternate interpretation... http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=77916 :)

-- N

Remove ads