Converting Epic Level Creatures

Cleon

Legend
Not sure about two things --- I'm still not convinced it should be a demi-plane (victims could be protected by an epic sanctuary-like effect), and I don't know about conscious control. The adventure seems to make clear that this is entirely due to Andromidus's sleeping dreams.

Andromidus can use this ability consciously or unconsciously. He just happens to be asleep when the adventure takes place.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmm, yes, but I wasn't clear it would take the same form. Then I'll go along with that.

What do you think about the sanctuary idea? Or just letting them be vulnerable?

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm, yes, but I wasn't clear it would take the same form. Then I'll go along with that.

What do you think about the sanctuary idea? Or just letting them be vulnerable?

I'd prefer them to be "out of play" while trapped in the dream, so I'm not keen on either.

freyar

The problem is that there doesn't really seem to be any hint of a demiplane in the original material. Why not some kind of epic sanctuary? That would put them out of play too.

Cleon

Legend
The problem is that there doesn't really seem to be any hint of a demiplane in the original material. Why not some kind of epic sanctuary? That would put them out of play too.

Sanctuary only prevent direct attacks. There are numerous ways of getting around it by using indirect attacks (mostly area of effects). An "epic sanctuary" would have to block ALL of them to be any use. Having the subjects disappear into the mists seems a lot simpler.

Cleon

Legend
what about imprisonment spell while they are dreaming?

What about them?

Under my proposal it'd be impossible, because the creatures affected by the dreaming have "disappeared" so can't be targeted by imprisonment.

If the victims are present but under a sanctuary effect, the attacker would have to pass a Will save to be able to attempt the touch attack that's necessary to affect the target of an imprisonment spell.

A more important question is would casting freedom release a victim from the Dream? I suppose it ought to, so I guess that needs adding to the proposal.

freyar

I think Nookie is asking whether the victims of dreaming could be imprisoned while in the illusion rather than shunted to a different plane.

I still prefer some kind of epic sanctuary, which would also prevent area of effect attacks. I mean, this is something created by a god-like being here.

I'm not sure about freedom. That implies that this is more of a trap --- which is where you are going with it --- rather than a mind-affecting effect, which I prefer.

Cleon

Legend
I think Nookie is asking whether the victims of dreaming could be imprisoned while in the illusion rather than shunted to a different plane.

As far Nookie's imprisonment question goes, I think we'd be better off waiting for Nookie to clarify what it was about.

freyar

Yes, we probably should. [MENTION=83645]Nookie[/MENTION]?

How shall we resolve our demiplane/no demiplane discussion?

Remove ads