Converting First Edition monsters from DRAGON magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

We need to determine Dex, Int, Wis, and Cha.

AC converts to 26. They get a +1 size bonus. That still leaves 15 points to account for. They don't strike me as having really high natural armor, so maybe strive for a +7 Dex bonus and +6 natural (like the similarly-sized spinagon)? That still leaves 2 points shy, but we could always give them a deflection bonus or the Dodge feat to help make up the difference.

Int translates to 5-10. Go with the middle and 7 or 8?

Wis strikes me as average. Cha is probably decent, since they use psionics and wirching might be Cha based.

Thoughts?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I agree with putting Dex 24. Maybe put natural armor at +2-4 and give them deflection based on Cha? I agree with Wis average. Cha should maybe be 20-24?

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
It sounds like they should have Craft Wondrous Item as one of their feats. I would also give them Concentration as a skill, since that seems like it would be useful to them.

Shade

Monster Junkie
All sounds good. Updated Homebrews.

When four or more Wirchlers get together, they can and will utilize their special attack. They start rubbing their teeth together, and the sound “wiiiirrrrccchhhhh” results. This noise stimulates pain centers in the nervous system, and if the wirchlers are allowed to continue in this manner for one full round (i.e. no hits are scored on them), all monsters and humans (except those listed below) within a 6” radius will scream and writhe on the ground, unable to attack, defend, or do otherwise. The following effects will also beset the victims: They will lose one hit point for every hour the wirchlers wirch, one point of Intelligence every three hours, one point of Wisdom every four hours, and one point of Charisma every five hours. The ability losses are permanent unless later regained by magical means.

All Wirchlers encountered will wirch for 1-4 hours, and then some will tie the victims up while the others wirch. The victims will be devoured when the wirchlers next feel hungry again, 1-8 hours later. If there are only four wirchlers, they will all wirch until a.) their victims are dead; b.) more wirchlers arrive; or c.) they are stopped by some other creature.

How does this look?

Wirching (Su): To use this ability, four or more wirchlers rub their teeth together, resulting in their namesake sound. After a full round of wirching, all creatures within 60 feet must succeed on a DC X Will save or fall to the ground screaming and writhing for as long as the wirching continues. Affected creatures are considered to be helpless(?). For each hour of continuous exposure to wirching, an affected creature suffers 1 point of damage. For every three hours of exposure, a victim suffers one point of Intelligence drain. Every four hours a victim suffers one point of Wisdom drain, and every five hours one point of Charisma drain.

At least four wirchlers will continue to wirch until all victims are dead. If damaged, a wirchler must succeed on a Concentration check (DC equals damage dealt) to continue wirching. This is a sonic, mind-affecting ability. The save DC is Charisma-based.

freyar

I like it. I'd say helpless makes sense. Do we need to put in something about creatures that enter the wirching radius, or is it just understood that they make their will save after 1 full round? Also, do we need to put in something about creatures that make their first save -- do they have to save again each round, or just once?

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
I like it. I'd say helpless makes sense. Do we need to put in something about creatures that enter the wirching radius, or is it just understood that they make their will save after 1 full round? Also, do we need to put in something about creatures that make their first save -- do they have to save again each round, or just once?

Yeah, that needs to be developed better. I'd say save each round, and no automatic 24-hour immunity upon a success. Otherwise, the wirchlers are essentially sitting ducks.

Thoughts?

freyar

You're probably right, though saving every round makes them quite nasty. Maybe make characters save each round but maybe give an additional save every hour to shake off the effect? Or do you think that a party tough enough to take on 4 of these at once will have someone who can make the save for a few rounds and break their concentration?

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
You're probably right, though saving every round makes them quite nasty. Maybe make characters save each round but maybe give an additional save every hour to shake off the effect? Or do you think that a party tough enough to take on 4 of these at once will have someone who can make the save for a few rounds and break their concentration?

Well, they only need one successful save and can probably run out of the 60-foot-radius, eh?

Speaking of that, should the "within 60 feet" be "within 60 feet of any wirchler currently wirching", or should it be centered between them (that's probably overly cumbersome, though)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads