• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting First Edition monsters from DRAGON magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Did some LA's and got this:

Rapper: LA of +2 ECL of 6. This prolly needs to go higher as it doesn't take into account the fact that the rapper is undead but i think it'll fly. it's not THAT powerful of a creature to mess around with.

Feral Slasher:LA +2 (Cohort) ECL of 4.

Hyenadon: LA +2 (Cohort) ECL of 9.

Iron Man: LA +3 ECL 6

Colchilin: LA +4 ECL 8

Liolel

First Post
BOZ said:
again, I believe there is some kind of standard knockdown action that would probably work here as well. What I need to know is if there should be a special bonus to some other kind of notation in the combat text.

Standerd knockdown type effect while different in name would be a trip. Example of a monster trip attack ability

SRD said:
Trip (Ex): A wolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+1 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the wolf.

So use the mechanics of that, but change the name to knockdown and make it with the tail not the mouth. Thats my suggestions.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
how about these?

Downhill Charge (Ex): When an alcor makes a charge while skiing downhill, its attack deals double damage in addition to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge.

Tail Sweep (Ex): This special attack allows an alcor to sweep with its tail as a standard action. The sweep affects a half-circle with a radius of 5 feet, extending from an intersection on the edge of the alcor’s space in any direction. Creatures within the swept area are affected if they are Large or smaller. A tail sweep allows for a Trip Attack without provoking an attack of opportunity. Rather than making an opposed Strength check, any affected creatures can attempt a Reflex save to avoid the Trip (DC 11). Successfully avoiding the Trip does not allow for the opponent to make a Trip Attack of their own.

Skiing (Ex): By balancing itself on its large, flat tail, the alcor can glide rapidly across snow and ice while moving downhill. It can move as a run (x4) on slight grades (less than 45 degrees) or as a run (x5) on severe grades (45 degrees or more).

Shade

Monster Junkie
So, to summarize what we have so far, plus a few additions (mostly copied from lizardfolk):

Alcor
Medium Humanoid (Reptilian)
HD: 3d8+3 (16 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 25 ft (5 squares)
AC: 15 (+2 Dex, +3 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+3
Attack: Tail slap +4 melee (3d4+1); or spear +3 melee (1d8+1/x3); or dart +4 ranged (1d4+1)
Full Attack: Tail slap +4 melee (3d4+1); or 2 claws +4 melee (1d3+1) and 1 bite +2 melee (1d4); or spear +3 melee (1d8+1/x3); or dart +4 ranged (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Downhill charge, tail sweep
Special Qualities: Arctic adaptation, skiing
Saves: Fort +2 Ref +5 Will +1
Abilities: Str 13 Dex 15 Con 13 Int 4 Wis 10 Cha 10
Skills: Balance +8 (6 ranks, +2 Dex, and any racial bonus we give it)
Feats: Multiattack, Weapon Finesse

Environment: Any cold land
Organization: Solitary, pair, or band (2-8)
Challenge Rating: X
Treasure: 50% coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +X

COMBAT

Downhill Charge (Ex): When an alcor makes a charge while skiing downhill, its attack deals double damage in addition to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge.

Tail Sweep (Ex): This special attack allows an alcor to sweep with its tail as a standard action. The sweep affects a half-circle with a radius of 5 feet, extending from an intersection on the edge of the alcor’s space in any direction. Creatures within the swept area are affected if they are Large or smaller. A tail sweep allows for a Trip Attack without provoking an attack of opportunity. Rather than making an opposed Strength check, any affected creatures can attempt a Reflex save to avoid the Trip (DC 11). Successfully avoiding the Trip does not allow for the opponent to make a Trip Attack of their own.

Arctic Adaptation (Ex): An alcor does not need to make Fortitude saves to avoid taking nonlethal damage in conditions between 40 degrees and -20 degrees. In conditions of extreme cold (below -20 degrees) they must Fortitude saves like any other creature, but gain a +4 racial bonus on this save.

Skiing (Ex): By balancing itself on its large, flat tail, the alcor can glide rapidly across snow and ice while moving downhill. It can move as a run (x4) on slight grades (less than 45 degrees) or as a run (x5) on severe grades (45 degrees or more).

Skills: Alcors receive a +X racial bonus on Balance checks.

Originally found in Dragon Magazine #101 ("Creature Catalog III," September 1985, Michael Persinger).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i merged your suggestions with my working copy and posted them it in homebrews - take a look! :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
It looks good. :cool:

I'd suggest adding after the Int score: (9 for weapon-users)

Here's a stab at the descripton. I didn't see mention of its coloration, so I assumed they'd be light blue or white to better fit into their habitat.

This tall, pale-blue-scaled humanoid looks like a cross between a powerfully built human and a lizard. Its most distinguishing feature is its large, flat tail.

An alcor is usually 6 to 7 feet tall with white or pale blue scales. Its large, flat tail is 3 to 4 feet long, and nearly 2 feet wide. An alcor can weigh from 200 to 250 pounds.

Alcors speak Draconic.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ok, the only thing i see remaining is "Alcors as characters". what should be their favored class - i say either ranger, druid, or barbarian. :) it need not be druid simply because lizardfolk are - there is not necessarily any indication that alcor also worship semuanya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads