Converting First Edition Monsters

Cleon

Legend
Just noticed that the original MM version was Small whilst the MC version is Medium (although they're both 6 feet long). Don't imagine it matters too much . :)

I reckon weight wise it'll be about 10-12 lbs.

Advancement looks ok.

I'd give it a CR of 1/2 (Same as a small sized viper)

Regards
Mortis

Don't like Medium, I was going on the assumption they were Small which I far prefer. They live in 6-inch tunnels and are the length of a big rattlesnake, a Medium-sized eel would probably be far more substantial.

So, I'd reduce them to Small and adjust their AC, attacks, Grapple and Hide.

For Advancement, I prefer "—" like a Small Viper, or failing that 2 HD (Small); 3-4 HD (Medium).

The weight and Challenge Rating are OK.

Cleon

Legend
I guess I could go with Small, but they're awfully long for a rattler (and I used to wrangle them!).

I'd rather stick with Medium as well, since the Stormwrack eel is actually smaller and still Medium.

Well according to a my notes from The Guinness Book of Animal Records the World's heaviest venomous snake was a 2.36m and 15kg (7' 9" & 34 lb) Eastern Diamondback (Crotalus adamanteus).

The Eastern Diamondback averages 1.52-1.83m and 5.5-6.8kg (12-15 lb and 5-6' long), about the size of a Weed Eel. 12-15 pounds is definitely Small size territory. Furthermore, rattlesnakes can be fairly chubby for snakes, the Weed Eel could be slimmer.

Of course, we should be comparing Eels, not Snakes. A giant moray (Gymnothorax javanicus) can approach 10 ft. long and 60 to 80 pounds depending on who you believe. Scale that down to 6 ft. and it works out around 13-17.25 pounds.

Let's see how other serpent/worm shaped creatures from the SRD scale:

Purple Worm (Gargantuan & 80 ft.) => 10 ft. Medium, 5 ft. Small
Frost Worm (Huge & 40 ft.) => 10 ft. Medium, 5 ft. Small
Naga (Large & 10-20 ft.) => 5-10 ft. Medium, 2.5-5 ft. Small

If the Weed Eel is shaped like the Worms, 6 ft. is closer to Small than Medium, if it's shaped like a Naga it's easily in Medium.

Of the Worm/Naga models I definitely prefer the Small Worm. I've always wondered why Nagas are so chubby in 3rd edition.

The 6 to 8 inch diameter tunnels is what clinches it for me. If you really want to make them Medium I'd fuss about giving them a "squeeze through tight places" Special Quality.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
The 6 to 8 inch diameter tunnels is what clinches it for me. If you really want to make them Medium I'd fuss about giving them a "squeeze through tight places" Special Quality.

I'll accept that fuss and give 'em the ability. ;)

Cleon

Legend
I'll accept that fuss and give 'em the ability. ;)

Be warned, it'll be an awful lot of fuss...

That Stormwrack Eel is "up to 100 pounds" - that's either a 10 foot plus eel or one that's morbidly obese. Besides, it's got twice the HD of a Weed Eel so it ought to be a size category bigger. That means the Weel Eel is small! :]

Weed Eels are small in the 1E Monster Manual and they should be small in 3E!! :.-(

They're Small, Small I tell you! :mad:

I'm not just saying this to be small minded, you know. :)

Remove ads