Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
These look like CR 1 except for the low hp...

Often LN.
Standard Treasure.
Hunting party (3d6 plus one knight) or hive (30-60 plus 1d6 knights plus 1 queen)?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Wouldn't they be CR 1/2 as 1st-level warriors?

Determining LA:
+2 for fly speed with maneuverability good or better
+1 for natural armor
+1 for unbalanced ability scores
+1 for poison
+1/2 for resistance to cold (rounded up to 1)
-------------
+6 (I could see rounding it down to +4, though, as the poison is very limited, and the cold resistance is a low amount)

Edit: I just realized we'll need to rework the ability scores, as a first level warrior utilizes the non-elite array: 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
There are creatures with CR 1 that are 1st level warriors--drow come to mind. And I'd say LA +3--they're going to be fragile. They're about on par with, say, a svirfneblin.

Str 11, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8 before racial mods?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Ahh...drow. Of course.

Updated.

A sha’az is 6 feet tall and weighs x pounds.

Sha’az are literate and use a combination of words, movements, and scents to communicate.

Sha’az speak their own language?

Automatic Languages: Sha’az? Bonus Languages: Common, x.

freyar

Looking at these, as well as the haun and haundar, I can't find which part of the north of Faerun these come from. Given the bit about knight orders in the haundar plating, maybe Damaran as a good language. Uluik or Illuskan could work, too. Giant and Orc also make sense.

Also, about the sha'az eggs, here's the relevant text from the haun entry.

Hauns prey on sha’az (q.v.) eggs because they contain a substance reducing resistance to mental contact. The eggs allow automatic success for psionic contact and mindlink (except on a roll of 20), and so at half the required PSPs (Psionic Strength Points, rounded down) or a period of a week per egg. When inside the haundar, the parasites inject the egg’s contents into the haundar’s blood.

With these eggs, hauns easily establish and maintain a psionic mindlink with haundars and make it understand that if it does not obey, pain will soon follow. Haundar behavior ultimately changes after years of this treatment, and they become totally submissive. Owning a haundar is a status symbol among haun broods.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Great suggestions! Updated.

The eggs increase the save DC by 4 for telepathy [mind-affecting] powers and abilities? Or, alternatively, impose a -4 penalty?

Also, we still need this: A sha’az is 6 feet tall and weighs x pounds.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
It doesn't look like they do either. It looks more like a cognizance crystal, the PP in which can only be used to power telepathy abilities. However, since a lot of monsters with psi-like abilities don't use PP (I don't remember about the haun specifically), it would make sense to let them boost DCs instead. Why +4, Shade? I think that +2 would be sufficient.

freyar

Seems from the quoted text more like a -2 penalty on the save (when injected in the haundar, for example), but either way works for me. ;)

Since they're insectile, maybe a bit skinny, so 120-175 lb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads