Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Then let's add in some kind of repulsion by silver instead of DR. Kind of like an allergy. ;)

Improved Grab is fine, though there's some implied throwing in the original text. Either way is ok.

I'd rather either do the AC penalty or the water-based creature vulnerability but not both. The AC penalty is something I'd leave for flavor just to state that they won't leave their home environments.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Then let's add in some kind of repulsion by silver instead of DR. Kind of like an allergy. ;)

That'll work.

freyar said:
Improved Grab is fine, though there's some implied throwing in the original text. Either way is ok.

Improved grab is fine. We'll need to note in the tactics that they use the grab to drown opponents.

freyar said:
I'd rather either do the AC penalty or the water-based creature vulnerability but not both. The AC penalty is something I'd leave for flavor just to state that they won't leave their home environments.

Agreed to one but not both. I prefer the water-creature bit, just because it is a bit more unique, but the chillblain precedent is perfectly acceptable.

Cleon

Legend

OK, so what are we doing regarding the silver? Is the aversion to silver "psychological" or a physical effect? I'm thinking of one of the following:

Sickened by Silver (Ex): Hendar are strongly allergic to silver. For every round a Hendar is in contact with silver it must succeed at a DC 15 Fortitude save or be sickened until the contact with silver is broken. Should a Hendar eat anything made out of silver it will automatically spit it out, and must make a DC 15 Fortitude save or be sickened [nauseated?] for 1d4 rounds.

Repulsed by Silver (Ex): Hendar loathe silver and cannot tolerate its presence. A hendar must make a DC15 Will save to enter an area laced with silver, and can not rest or sleep within X feet of silver. A hendar has a -Y morale penalty on melee attacks against a creature wearing or wielding a silver object.

Cleon

Legend
We cross-posted, but apparently didn't conflict. :)

I prefer option #2.

That's good, because so do I.:lol:

We need values for X and Y then.

I reckon the attack penalty ought to be similar to Shaken.

Can't think of any precedent for the range, so I'll just pull a figure out of my ear. 10 yards feels about right.

So, 30 feet for X and -2 for Y?

Repulsed by Silver (Ex): Hendar loathe silver and cannot tolerate its presence. A hendar must make a DC15 Will save to enter an area laced with silver, and can not rest or sleep within 30 feet of silver. A hendar has a -2 morale penalty on melee attacks against a creature wearing or wielding a silver object.

Cleon

Legend
Hey, me too!

Any real preference on the water bit?

I'm not really bothered, but am OK putting it in for the sake of completeness. Not sure what to call it though.

Some Name (Ex): If a hendar spends more than 24 hours without entering water its skin grows dry and brittle, reducing its natural armour by X. A hendar with dried-out skin must must make a Constitution check each hour (DC 10, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d4 points of damage. The hendar can cure its dried-out skin by soaking in water for a minute, which restores its AC to normal.

I changed the damage to per hour from the original per day, since the SRD rules on Thirst and the Sahuagin's Water Dependent power work on a per-hour basis.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

How about "moisture dependent" and reducing NA by 2 (which is half its bonus, rounded down)?

Skills: 18 ranks
Listen 9, Spot 9? Or throw a few ranks in Hide/Move Silently? The original text didn't specifically identify them as ambush hunters.

Their favorite attack is to crash into aerial target...

Feats: 3
Improved Bull Rush, Multiattack, Power Attack?

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

How about "moisture dependent" and reducing NA by 2 (which is half its bonus, rounded down)?

I like Moisture Dependent.:)

Skills: 18 ranks
Listen 9, Spot 9? Or throw a few ranks in Hide/Move Silently? The original text didn't specifically identify them as ambush hunters.

They seem to prefer a chase-and-grab approach over ambushes, yes. That said, their black colouration may give them some camouflage when night hunting.

How about 7 ranks each in Spot and Listen, 4 ranks in Move Silently and put "*A Hendar's black skin gives them a +8 racial bonus to Hide checks in dark or shadowy conditions" in their Skills description?

Feats: 3
Improved Bull Rush, Multiattack, Power Attack?

I prefer Improved Overrun over Bull Rush.

Furthermore, I'm still divided about the tail-slap and 2 wing buffets, since the original description is more like a slam and a bite. (Of course if we give them slam/bite we can't give them Multiattack as a regular feat.)

Hmm, I'd be more comfortable with Multiattack and wing-buffets if the damage was cut - maybe 1d4+2 per wing?

Oh, and their tail (or slam) attack could have an increased reach, probably 10 feet, since they're supposed to be big creatures.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like Moisture Dependent.:)

Then I'll make it so. :)

They seem to prefer a chase-and-grab approach over ambushes, yes. That said, their black colouration may give them some camouflage when night hunting.

How about 7 ranks each in Spot and Listen, 4 ranks in Move Silently and put "*A Hendar's black skin gives them a +8 racial bonus to Hide checks in dark or shadowy conditions" in their Skills description?

Sounds good!

I prefer Improved Overrun over Bull Rush.

I don't really get an overrun feel for these fellows. Can overrun even be used while flying? Let's compromise, and pick a third feat instead of those two. ;)

Furthermore, I'm still divided about the tail-slap and 2 wing buffets, since the original description is more like a slam and a bite. (Of course if we give them slam/bite we can't give them Multiattack as a regular feat.)

Hmm, I'd be more comfortable with Multiattack and wing-buffets if the damage was cut - maybe 1d4+2 per wing?

I'd be comfortable with your comfort. :p

Oh, and their tail (or slam) attack could have an increased reach, probably 10 feet, since they're supposed to be big creatures.

Works for me!

Updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads