• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhaga

First Post
Skills: Climb +7, Listen +7, Spot +7, Use Magic Device +5
Nix Hide and Survival, replace Track with...something.

Something (Ex): this creature has an additional feat. Pick one.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like the Something ability. :p

Combat: Tether beasts prefer to attack their intended victims from ambush, if possible, but they attack even if they are the ones surprised--or if they're wounded, or being offered an appeasement, or if they're hungry or full. Basically, they are happy to attack anyone at any time for any reason--or even no reason at all.

I'm thinking Hide is worth keeping. Maybe replace Climb with Move Silently? (It still gets a +8 racial bonus on Climb due to its climb speed, and its Str gives it an additional +6).

The tether beast is far and away the fiercest hunter on the Demiplane of Time. It attacks and eats anything it happens to come across, from tempsynth to temporal gliders, and apparently chronomancers rank high atop the list of their favorite foods. A tether beast that finds the silver mist trail of a Demiplane of Time traveler follows it until the trail disappears or the adventurer is found.

I'm not so sure Track should be dropped.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
If we keep Track, we should definitely keep Survival. ;) I agree with Shade, though, about the skills and feats. I'd be happy with keeping the behir's feats.

dhaga

First Post
Whoops, yeah. Those look good, Shade. Guess I should have re-read the description before getting rid of its ability to track its victims. Hope it doesn't come looking for me...

Shade

Monster Junkie
How does this look?

Feats: Alertness, Cleave, Power Attack, Track
Skills: Climb +14, Hide +3, Listen +6, Move Silently +4, Spot +6, Survival +6, Use Magic Device +6

Shade

Monster Junkie
Behir is CR 8, and tether beast has one more HD and an (arguably) deadlier breath weapon. So I'd say at least 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads